Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2005, Alpental

April 22, 2005, Alpental

4/22/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by andyski on 4/22/05 2:08am
A little info for anyone considering a 'happy hour' up there.
There was a slide that started in the thin trees just above the cat track on 'Dom' and ran close to the bottom, where the run flattens out. I'm guessing it's recent based on the fact that the debris was still separated into sharpish pieces instead of melted together in the warm weather and the ski area just closed Sunday. In width, it covered more than a 1/4 of the run on the looker's left side. There was still continuous snow coverage in the slide's path.
After seeing that, sliding downhill every fourth step on traverses, and being solo, I took a quick run out of there and saved my strength for Muir tomorrow. The snow was very sloppy, but not too grabby. DOT thermometer said 61 at 10a. A ski pole could be shoved down to almost to the handle (a real pain to get back out), the top 2-3 feet being consistent snow cone. There was no evidence of slides in the lower International area, just stuff falling off the cliffs. Skinning still possible from bottom of  'Sessel,' but not for long.
Thanks.  I was hoping to find a Friday Alpental report.  I think I'll pass on Alpental this weekend.  I just hope that it settles and corns up before it's all gone!

That slide was there Thursday morning. I don't know if slides like that typically worry me. They move at very low speed if you happen to be there when it actually comes down, so as long as your terrain management is good you'll either be watching it from somewhere else or at least will have enough time to get out of the way (and somewhere to get away TO).
I think it will corn up eventually but it's a ways off from doing so. But when it does corn up you may as well go somewhere else besides Alpental, because Sessel's about to melt out anyways, the skipacking while the area was open didn't really help the consolidation all that much, and on the runs at best you'll end up with mogully corn whereas you could eventually find nice smooth corn elsewhere just a few miles away.

Some more info re: slide.  It was not there Tuesday eve so must have happened Wed.  No surprise.  The Pass had seen a big change early in the week:

New Snow on Sunday, couple inches covering dense corn.  Maybe some good skiing somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  Ended up at Rainy Pass.

Monday more new snow, but very warm and no sign of cold anytime soon.  Snow glopping in the sun, but still pretty dense down in the pack and in the shade.  Not consolidated, however.

Tues - snow now REAALLLY wet and bottomless corn.  36 hours plus now from any real freeze.  Skied to the top and bashed down International, it would have made me very nervous to ski anything south facing or unconsolidated and now in the sun.    

I was very glad to be on a board all days.  Just about the only time I enjoy moguls on a snowboard - in super glop that's fun to smash around = > that was the highlight of nash and sessel for me.  The freshly cut foliage on sessel was poking through the corn by tues eve.  Top to Bottom skiing may well be over (again, if you can believe it!)

Reply to this TR

april-22-2005-alpental
andyski
2005-04-22 09:08:13