Home > Trip Reports > January 6, 2013, Manastash Ridge, Westberg trail

January 6, 2013, Manastash Ridge, Westberg trail

1/6/13
Posted by glenn_b on 1/6/13 1:56pm
Hoping to escape a soul-sucking fog in E-burg, talked the wife into driving over to Westberg trail up Manastash Ridge.  Thankfully,the first hikers coming back told us that sun was out just up the hill.  Skinned up the well-packed boot path to the ridge crest where Pat hiked west up to the book while I skied east looking for a jeep road that would hopefully offer a friendly descent.  Last week, I'd struggled to negotiate the sagebrush-lined luge run of a trail we'd climbed up.  Found the track and had a pleasant ski back to the trail head on about a foot or so of surprisingly dry snow.

Much on my mind was my old ski buddy, Bill, who left us on New Year's Eve, hanging himself in Oregon.  Godspeed, Willie.
Thanks. This is the first report from Manastash Ridge I've read.

When I used to drive a sales route through there, I often wondered if it was skiable in winter. Now it's confirmed.

Seems like if there is enough snow, you could ski about anywhere out there given the wide open nature of the slopes. Is this true? What are the restricting factors?

author=JibberD link=topic=26881.msg113275#msg113275 date=1357570310]
Seems like if there is enough snow, you could ski about anywhere out there given the wide open nature of the slopes. Is this true? What are the restricting factors?

Pretty much.  If there's a base, most anything goes.  A favorite tour is up Umtanum Ridge from just west of the Umtanum Falls trailhead on the old Ellensburg/Wenas road.  You can tour up to the 4224' high point on the ridge for a nice view. 

author=glenn_b link=topic=26881.msg113294#msg113294 date=1357587106]
Pretty much.  If there's a base, most anything goes.  A favorite tour is up Umtanum Ridge from just west of the Umtanum Falls trailhead on the old Ellensburg/Wenas road.  You can tour up to the 4224' high point on the ridge for a nice view. 

Awesome! Snowpack permitting, sounds like you've got it made over there.

It'd be great to see some photos sometime.

Reply to this TR

january-6-2013-manastash-ridge-westberg-trail
glenn_b
2013-01-06 21:56:37