Home > Trip Reports > January 5, 2013, Pheobe's Tip - Idaho Selkirks

January 5, 2013, Pheobe's Tip - Idaho Selkirks

1/5/13
US elsewhere
Posted by matmaster on 1/6/13 3:20am
participants: Travis, Daniel, Shane, Mat, Buttercup, Bumblebee

We had an enjoyable tour on Phoebe's Tip near Upper Priest Lake.

We left the sleds below sunny skies and climbed the steep southern slopes to gain the summit of Phoebe's.  The ascent took about 2 hours.  Clouds had moved in, so visibility was bad on top.  We decided to descend the summit pyramid and take a break lower on the shoulder.  After some snacks, we descended about 800 feet on steep southern slopes for a great run with very good quality snow.  We climbed back up to the shoulder and Travis and Daniel made a 700 foot descent below Phoebe's east face.  The last run was from the shoulder back to the sleds, descending about 1400 feet.  The snow pack was very stable with no signs of instability observed by our group.
Thanks Mat! First time sled-assisted, and it was awesome! We were able to reach into the upper Selkirk Mountains, that are nearly impossible to get to, otherwise. Thanks to Travis, here is the beta of our route:

Ski Tour
6.5 miles
4318 ft

Sled Ride:
12.0 miles x2
3048 ft

Also, here is a couple of picture from our trip:

-Heading up via snowmobile and a tow-behind sled for our gear.
-Phoebe's Tip off in the distance; from near where we dumped the sleds.
-Travis skinning up the southwest shoulder of Phoebe's Tip.

Wow - Nice pictures.  Looks amazing! 
Too bad you posted the TR.  Now everyone will be going there  ;)  Seriously, I wish I could!

-Mat skinning up the side of Phoebe's Tip; with Priest Lake way in the distance.
-Phoebe's Tip from the ridge up.
-Travis killing it on the way down the lower flank.

Can I ask future tourers to honor the traditional nomenclature of Phoebe's Tit, located next to Molly's Nipple? Until Lady Bird Johnson's "clean up our maps" campaign in the 1960s, those were the peak names. Phoebe and Molly, fallen angels from Bonners Ferry, were remembered with landmarks by loyal customers.

Good skiing to be had up there, and around the old Continental Mine also.  The old mine road used to be a wonderful 2-4% grade up from the Bonners side.  I wonder what shape it's in?  The old mine buildings arn't located in the best place for turns, and are very cold, but worth a visit.

Yeah, I didn't know if it would be politically correct, but do know that is their historic names. Thanks for the historic info. on the naming of these impressive peaks. Thought it sounded like some lonely pioneers with quite the imagination; as the peaks, in question, do not really resemble part of a woman's anatomy...more like pyramid shapes peaks...but felt suckled, nonetheless     ;)

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=26867.msg113253#msg113253 date=1357531985]
Wow - Nice pictures.  Looks amazing! 
Too bad you posted the TR.  Now everyone will be going there  ;)  Seriously, I wish I could!

Yeah....only a 10 hour drive/sled/ski from Seattle.  I expect the crowds to begin arriving next week. ;)

author=mccallboater link=topic=26867.msg113258#msg113258 date=1357532879]

Good skiing to be had up there, and around the old Continental Mine also.  The old mine road used to be a wonderful 2-4% grade up from the Bonners side.  I wonder what shape it's in?  The old mine buildings arn't located in the best place for turns, and are very cold, but worth a visit.

You wanna play tour guide, and show us the goods?

Hey Matt,

I'm living in Spokane this year and while I don't have a sled I got some strong trail breaking legs.  Let me know if you ever need a partner.

-kevin

Love the trip report.  My Dad (65 years old) has been going up to Priest lake since he was 3 years old and he and I have hiked through hordes of skeeters to to the top of both the tit and the nipple in summer.  I have dreamed of heading up there in the winter sometime to do some skiing -- logging roads cover every conceivable mountain in Idaho - at least on the East side of Priest so a sled opens up pretty much all the terrain.  A partner, more time, and access to a sled and I'm there!

Here's a picture of Phoebes I took in the spring of 2008.  One of my favorite photo's ever.

author=bcjunkie link=topic=26867.msg113475#msg113475 date=1357795869]
You wanna play tour guide, and show us the goods?

Love to, but I live in Boise now.  John Monks is your man.  He's in Sandpoint.

Yes!  I grew up fishing on Priest Lake and loved the name on the maps in the lodges.  When I was 14 I hiked to the top of Phoebe.  Respect tradition!

Reply to this TR

january-5-2013-pheobe-s-tip-idaho-selkirks
matmaster
2013-01-06 11:20:20