Home > Trip Reports > Jan 4, 2013, Snoqualmie

Jan 4, 2013, Snoqualmie

1/4/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 1/4/13 8:35am
meant to put something up earlier, but seems the TAY website (which was moving at glacial speed) was hit with the same debilitating weather as the Pass...

it was ugly. super upside down. heavy heavy precipitation... is this snow or rain?  the snow part just being denial... it was rain. both NWAC and NOAA way off on this one...  I would not want to be skiing anything steep today because it would have ripped a heavy 4" slab easy (in the morning) not sure what it's like now.

[edit] more detail: conditions didn't seem to improve as we got higher, just more freezing rain, maybe worse; inversionary
Sounds fun.  :)

Thanks for helping weekend planning with some timely info...

author=Jim Oker link=topic=26833.msg113102#msg113102 date=1357349615]
Thanks for helping weekend planning with some timely info...

Indeed, thanks Stefan.  TAY weekday skiing lurkers, please follow suit?  Conditions reporting was the main reason Charles developed this site.  Chest thumping and arguing came later as the site "matured?"

as a wise man I know once said: "I'd rather be happy than right" don't you think that "chest thumping" could often equally be construed as motivational, informational (the where, the what, the how), and even fun?  part of the fabric that lays the social history for when the ephemeral and fickle ways of weather have passed?   true, backcountry skiing is a sport ruled by conditions, but all the other emotional motivating factors are part of the equation too.

that said, I'm totally with you Silas:
author=silaswild link=topic=26833.msg113106#msg113106 date=1357350951]
TAY weekday skiing lurkers, please follow suit

4" of light and fluffy fell last night (and skied fantastic) but it switched over to freezing rain/rain in the early am with a thin 2-3mm crust developing on the top.  I skipped the touring and went to Alpental where the inversion could be felt with a warm blast above ~4300ft. Still below freezing but more rain-like up to the top of 2. Poor visibility and icy goggles, but the snow skied ok where it's untracked or smoothed in by the wind, if not a bit like paste. It cleared later above 4300 ft with the inversion fog filling the valley again.

I would think touring for actual powder in the vicinity of the Pass to be a tough proposition now, ending the exceptional string we've had.

I posted an explanation of why there was freezing rain in this other thread (along with lots of telemetry): January 4, 2013 Alpental

Timeless vs timely. Both have there place here.

Reply to this TR

jan-4-2013-snoqualmie
cumulus
2013-01-04 16:35:15