Home > Trip Reports > 12/31/12 - 1/1/13, ONP, Sleepover at Steeple Rock

12/31/12 - 1/1/13, ONP, Sleepover at Steeple Rock

12/31/12
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 1/3/13 8:52am
At Jan€™s suggestion, we decided to spend New Year€™s eve snow camping in the Olympics. After considering several alternatives we settled on a relatively mellow tour out the Obstruction Point road to the environs around Steeple Rock.

As we packed our gear up Monday morning, the constant rain falling outside seemed to be in direct contradiction to the weatherman€™s forecast of sunny skies later in the day. Undaunted, we loaded up and headed for the Ridge. The rain quickly turned to snow as we gained elevation. By the time we dropped our skis and packs at the trailhead and shuttled our car down to the overnight parking area, the snowfall was subsiding. As we approached Steeple Rock the snow had stopped and the cloud cover was began to break up. At this point we left the road and skinned up to the ridge line. After some searching we found a protected campsite with great views to the north of Mt. Angeles and Klahhane Ridge. The rest of the afternoon was sent digging out a tent platform and setting up camp. Jan brought some battery powered lights to decorate a Happy New Year tree.  It was almost sunset when we finished our chores. We skied back across the ridge line and enjoyed the excellent views of the sun setting behind the western Olympics.

After an early dinner we settled into our tent and sleeping bags. In just 15 hours it would be daylight again! ::) Fortunately we brought a deck of cards, a couple good books and sufficient adult beverages to help make the time pass. ;) Needless to say we were sound asleep long before the new year arrived.

We woke up New Year€™s day to a beautiful sunrise and clear blue skies. After a leisurely breakfast we packed up camp and headed for home. As we skied back to the Ridge we ran into one of our friends headed to Eagle Point for the day.

We agreed this could easily become an annual event.

Here are a few pictures, and a link to some more: https://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20121231NewYearsEveAtSteepleRock

1. Mt Angeles from our campsite
2. Our decorated New Year€™s tree
3. Happy New Year from Gary and Jan

Gary
The pictures of the Olympics in winter sun are great.

Great idea Gary, bet you felt a lot better than I did the morning of the new year!

Views are great and I like Jan's lights. Someone should build a shelter out that way...

Annual event sounds good  ;D

Happy new year, you two! pretty pictures :)

What a great idea!  You two are definitely among my heroes.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=26812.msg113048#msg113048 date=1357272512]
Great idea Gary, bet you felt a lot better than I did the morning of the new year!

Now Tyler, you're old enough to know better.............  ;)  Which reminds me, happy belated birthday!  :D

author=chmnyboy link=topic=26812.msg113048#msg113048 date=1357272512]Someone should build a shelter out that way...

Excellent idea, we'll have to check into that!  ::)

Gary

Very cool shot of the night life!

DH

FYI.. This is the Bailey Range with Stephen Pk on the left

author=banosser link=topic=26812.msg113124#msg113124 date=1357362919]
FYI.. This is the Bailey Range with Stephen Pk on the left

Actually, Stephen Peak is in front of Olympus, but is 1,551 feet shorter, so you can see them both in this photo.

Awesome trip! I was up there myself on New Years, had a blast!

Reply to this TR

12-31-12-1-1-13-onp-sleepover-at-steeple-rock
Gary_H
2013-01-03 16:52:38