Home > Trip Reports > January 1, 2013, Mt Rainier, Tatoosh

January 1, 2013, Mt Rainier, Tatoosh

1/1/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by crustos on 1/1/13 1:10pm
Skied to (east-of-) Castle Saddle. There was a small crowd climbing Narada Face, but I didn't see anyone else until I was hanging out at the saddle.

Beautiful day, great conditions. Amazing powder for being so old. A little wind affected in the upper basin, very nice in sheltered areas. No stability issues noted. A lot of hoar everywere.

I took the first well-tracked route heading up the hill near Reflection Lake, which was a mistake. It wasn€™t too bad but it had a lot of switchbacks and short, steep sections. On my descent, I came out further east, near the summer trail, which looked like it had a better up track.

Narada Face was pretty beat-up by the time I came down around 2:00. Still good snow in the undisturbed parts, but the disturbed parts were a little disturbing.
author=crustos link=topic=26788.msg112891#msg112891 date=1357103444]
No stability issues noted.

There was a skier-triggered avalanche near the rocky face of Castle (skier's far left at the saddle) around 2-3 pm in the afternoon.  We didn't see it -- happened between our first and second laps -- but witnesses said that skier was able to ski out of it.  It appeared fairly shallow, but deposited a surprising amount of debris. 

But yes, what an excellent day!

Dumb question - does this mean the park road to Paradise is open on tues/wed this week (holiday week)?  Was thinking of heading that way tomorrow.

Nice report and not surprised it's still holding powder.

There was a skier-triggered avalanche near the rocky face of Castle (skier's far left at the saddle) around 2-3 pm in the afternoon.

That doesn't surprise me either I've seen that let go under a skier several times . It's a touch spot.

I'm thinking park rd. to paradise will not be open as Jan. 2nd is not a holiday and would fall under the tues./ wed. closure. Check the Park twitter in the morning (if they post! )

https://twitter.com/MountRainierNPS

Reply to this TR

january-1-2013-mt-rainier-tatoosh
crustos
2013-01-01 21:10:44