Home > Trip Reports > December 31, 2012, bullion basin pow

December 31, 2012, bullion basin pow

12/31/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Rowan Stewart on 1/1/13 6:35am
After a great day in Union Creek on the 29th, I took a rest day, then ventured back out to Crystal for the second annual new year's eve backcountry ski with my freeheeling father.
On the way up I noticed some serious hoar frost

The forecast was for partly sunny skies, but the high cloud cover held fast for the whole day allowing only a few sun beams through. We had planned to follow the tracks a friend of mine and I had made two days earlier, but plans changed. A little north facing bowl with untracked lines beckoned us and we followed. The snow in the bowl had been perfectly preserved, and was as soft and dry as the day it fell. The first run started with little cornice, then it was maybe 500 vertical feet of silky smooth powder and frosty trees. lets do it again. We switched over and took another lap which produced the same whooping and ear to ear smiles. As we were switching over, we watched three telemarkers make beautiful turns down the same slope. They skied down to us exclaiming how good the snow was. We introduced ourselves and skied another run with them. The southwest slopes off the backside of our private little bowl looked very inviting, so the 5 of us skied back to the resort through steep trees, gullies, and glades in great snow. I believe Jeff got stuck in the thick tress, as he was a long time coming down the run, but we all made it out safe. Great riding with you guys; Russ, Jeff, and Mack, it was a great way to celebrate the new year.

the best run of the day
https://vimeo.com/56596290
That first photo is stunning.

Reply to this TR

december-31-2012-bullion-basin-pow
Rowan Stewart
2013-01-01 14:35:11