Home > Trip Reports > December 31, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

December 31, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

12/31/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 12/31/12 11:19am
Gray skies, somewhat flat lighting, light winds, compressed fresh snow 2-8" deep on open north slopes of Kendall Peak 5600-4000' made good safe conditions for a couple dozen skiers today.  West slopes at the same elevations had very little sun affect from yesterday, a pleasant surprise.  Happy New Year.
Good day to be out, great to finally meet the legendary Silas!

Thanks for the report. I hope you all saved a couple lines for my morning run. This has been a great stretch of snow days.

sounds entertaining; lotsa fun couloirs back there.

did any of you notice if any of the couple dozen skiers (! never have seen folks back there !) put in a track past the Kendall Katwalk?

author=hedonaut link=topic=26768.msg112829#msg112829 date=1357014299]
did any of you notice if any of the couple dozen skiers (! never have seen folks back there !) put in a track past the Kendall Katwalk?

I was heading there, albeit somewhat aimlessly. Partner came down with fever the night before. I was the only one back there... breaking trail... slow going. which turned my thoughts elsewhere. rummaged through several options, but north slopes were hard to beat on Sunday. so ended up here:

spent half the morning gawking...  sunbeam illuminated wind born snow... one of many many photos...  oh right, let's do some skiing...

track 2

take 2 track 2

Glorious day! no one up there. Silas and crew passed through in the afternoon, coaxed them into dropping in. looks like they came back for the skin track and leftovers... fine snow indeed, maybe even better the second time around?   happy new year!

didn't see anything past the Katwalk, but still interested in heading out that way

I was up that way yesterday (Jan 1). Great snow. I saw a boot track going down the ridge past the katwalk, but nothing that looked like ski tracks.

Silas - was bummed not to meet you on Monday as Jim and I were about 2 hours ahead of you on NYE, but thankful to follow your tracks on the Kendall Circumnav.  Really amazing terrain back there.  Neither of us could figure out where the Kendall Katwalk is though I suspect it crosses the North/East flanks of Kendall.

Cumulus - Nice Photo, I recognize that exact place!  Our descent line was just to the right of the line in your first photograph.  We saw your bootback to your high point and descent.  We kept as far left on the descent as we dared, and cut right (just enough) to avoid and then ski just below the very large cliffs that cut this slope half way down.  We did manage to find some very steep and deep powder fields.

Reply to this TR

december-31-2012-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2012-12-31 19:19:16