Home > Trip Reports > Dec 30, 2012, Lone Tree Peak, Central Idaho

Dec 30, 2012, Lone Tree Peak, Central Idaho

12/30/12
US elsewhere
Posted by ebeam on 12/31/12 10:04am
Trying to give central Idaho a little love on this mostly western Washington website €¦

My normal ski environs are around Mt. Baker, but I get over here at least once a year to wear sun glasses, remind myself what facets look like, and ski a few days with my daughter and son in law. The trips usually go something like this: get one ride up to the top of the Tamarack Resort (~3000 ft of vert for $15 €“ you have to ask for a single ride up), then head south along the ridge lapping mellow glades, burned forest, or gentle summits. Laps in glades can be up to 1200 vert ft. When tired, or you are run short on daylight, make your way back to the ski resort or drop to the valley. If you go all the way to the valley be ready for a bush ski zone (this time of year) and some skinning. Some non-groomed XC and (summer) bike trails are your exit out.

There are many other ski options around the Donnelly/McCall area - especially if you have a sled for access.

One Phone picture
I thought Tamarack was dead in the bust?  That's great they're running again.  The touring around Brundage is nice too.  It's a good off-the-beaten-path destination. 

How's there snowpack so far? 

Trees

I think the homeowner's association is running the skiing part of the resort. I don't know about other aspects of the resort (hotel, golf, etc.). The resort did go belly up and a bank sold off one of the high speed quads (the Wildwood Chair), but the other lifts are still in place.

Regarding snowpack- Tamarck's website doesn't seem to report snow conditions, but I dug a pit to look bonding on an ice layer down about 3 ft. I didn't hit ground. I would guess snow depths are about 5 ft near the summit and 2 feet in the valley.

author=trees4me link=topic=26763.msg112983#msg112983 date=1357196260]

How's there snowpack so far? 

Tamarack doesn't get the deepest snowpack in the area, but it is deep enough for good turns now.  The bottom of the hill gets a bit more snow than McCall, currently about 18" at my house.  The top is more like 5', but varies a lot with wind loading.  As a contrast, Lick Creek summit and Granite Peak have depths approaching 8'. 
Check the Payette Avalanche report for the latest conditions.  http://www.payetteavalanche.org/

good to know, thanks!

we were thinking about heading out that way again this year, not sure where the winds will blow us yet...

Keep those reports coming, its great to read about other cool areas!

Reply to this TR

dec-30-2012-lone-tree-peak-central-idaho
ebeam
2012-12-31 18:04:22