Home > Trip Reports > Dec 30 Mt Lichtenberg

Dec 30 Mt Lichtenberg

12/15/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by rocksnowsun on 12/31/12 4:32am
great day to be out, blue skies and great stability.  left my skins in the cabin and had to go back, that sucked.

first time up this peak, i think we cut up towards the lake a bit early, following some tracks, it got steep, and we had to take off skis and boot pack up to the lake.  the ridge to the peak from the lake is just beautiful.  we looked at skiing directly north off the peak but it looked like cliffs that way, maybe you can ski NE and stay on the north side of the ridge we asceneded and be in really good snow and nice pitch.  ultimately we wend down towards Tye peak and then traversed downhill just onto the south side to ski towards the road and then skinned to the car, making it a circumnavigation of the mountain.  snow was a bit cooked on the south side, but only in places.  was great to ski that face i've always looked at. 

any beta on the best way to get up to the lake, and/or weather the route down just north of the ridge has cliffs or dense trees and how that gets as you enter the valley and get back to Smith Brook road?   

very into more trips in this area, Union and Jove.  anyone want to go next weekend let me know. 

didnt take my camera , have a few i-phone pics, not smart enough to make them fit in the attachemt.  i'll try to figure out how to post and the video from the top. 
Due north from the peak definitely has many cliff bands, but also some amazing looking couloirs and routes that look relatively doable in stable conditions. Did you ski down to Valhalla???

Reply to this TR

dec-30-mt-lichtenberg
rocksnowsun
2012-12-31 12:32:07