Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2012, Old Alpental Secret Stash

December 30, 2012, Old Alpental Secret Stash

12/30/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Chuck C on 12/31/12 1:10am
Toured above the main lot towards Cave Ridge.  After a brisk 5 -10 minute climb we reached our high point and reconnoitered the slope for good pit sites.  Two (grave deep) pits were dug and extensive scientific analysis completed including temp profiles, resistances grain types and various tests.  Results suggested (actually serious here) rightside up snow pack at both locations.  Did find an ice layer about 100+cm down.  We decided that snow of the quality we were seeing needed to be skied and conditions were totally safe, which was probably good for all the snowshoers heading up higher than us.

Got untracked pow turns on the upper part of the slope despite a snowshoe track going down the middle of it in a zig-zag pattern.  After a short discussion most of the party continued to descend while one other and I decided to rip a line we'd seen just over a small rib that held prodigous amounts of deep untracked goods.  This is where we started to epic.  He still had his skins on from the descent and headed up while I booted up to an island of safety on a small knoll.  After he pulled hide, obviously made some phone calls and took a nap he rocked his NTN gnarness down towards me.  Since he'd shown to be a hard charger and gone uphill further than me (probably resulting in the nap) I figured I'd let him have first turns below (and just in case our pit data was faulty).  We then proceeded to mob the pow all the way down to the treed glade above the exit couloir.  No farming here, bros, we nuked as much of the slope as possible.  That'll teach you to stay home and watch the Seahawks!  After reaching the sketchy safety of the trees and realizing night was fast approaching, we scoped the couloir, I believe its called the "garage door chute".  Due to the exposure of an overhanging cornice ("garage roof roof") we did not linger and my partner pointed them and skied out to an island of safety at the bottom.  I quickly followed (eyes closed), hooting (or screaming) all the way down.  We then got out of our skis and headed to the truck so he could get to work (what the hell is that?).

Possibly my best ski day ever.  I'd post pics/video but I don't want to give away the location of The Stash and the skiing is just too graphic for public viewing.

HNY! ;D
pics or it didnt  happen

Reply to this TR

december-30-2012-old-alpental-secret-stash
Chuck C
2012-12-31 09:10:27