Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2012, Blewett Blue

December 30, 2012, Blewett Blue

12/30/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 12/30/12 12:11pm
I spent the day skiing powder, in tribute and contemplation.  Wickski, decided to pass from this life, and leave us all wondering what we might have changed to prevent this.  It was not a big day, just a nice little patch, that I spent the day farming, nothing like the big bold lines he would ski. 

He made his way on the snow like an otter makes it's way in the water, like it was all just so much fun.

I thought I would like to be alone, but after the first run, I was sorry I had not ask a friend, someone to share the views, and the nice snow.

I am sure there were others out paying their respects, making beautiful turns in soft snow,  forgetting for a moment the sadness.

The first pass was so nice, something about a fresh canvas.

And then spooning one beside the other, no rush, enjoying the quite, 75 turns, maybe 100, just the right amount.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jx9HXRM3gE8/UOEF4wYkUuI/AAAAAAAADXA/JKRTppW0v5I/s640/IMG_5110.JPG" />

Sorry for your loss jtack.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Marcus, and Zap.

RIP SW. The northwest ski community has lost too many good ones in the last couple years.

Jtjack, although you were solo, maybe you weren't alone.  Perhaps your friend was there too.

Jamie.

I share your sorrows, even if I only had the pleasure of climbing with him once. Some individuals are so full of life and good spirits, the make a lasting impression on how we should be living. love that last photo.

I reached out to a mutual friend of Scott's and mine and asked him along for some mt therapy. H\Sadly he couldn't make it.  On the trip, I told my friends about wick. He was on my mind all day but I tried to keep the mood up but not talking about him much. a nice 6 hour skin in the dark made for great reflection time.

We where blessed with a beautiful day and in my heart I felt like Scott was smiling(as always) down on us.

As we all geared up for our decent,I looked back to my new smiling friend who was sporting a very Wick like stache and facial hair. I hadn't noticed until then. I let him drop first, and imagined myself skiing with with Scott one last time.

Good ridance 2012.... please, no more good guys leaving us in 2013..

Sorry for your loss Jamie. On my next time out I will make some turns in the name of your friend. Looks like you had a peaceful day of reflection out there. I didn't know your friend, but I bet that is the kind of tribute he would have wanted .
Thanks for sharing.

droppin knees on the north face of shuksan

Very sorry to hear about Scott. I never met him, but we corresponded a few times.

I presume this is his video, right?

http://icicle.tv/Blog/SPORTS-OUTOORS/Hippie-Pow-at-Stevens-Pass-with-Scott-Wicklund.html

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Owen and I were in the museum today.  A very special place near the Bride where he and Scott shared an overnight trip several years ago.  Along came a bald eagle that circled overhead a couple times and then moved on.............

We miss you Scott.

Hope the skiing was a good salve for the soul.

I didn't know Scott particularly well but his death saddened me and had me thinking about the few things we had done together. It also had me thinking about the role I should play with those I am closer to should bends in their lives crush the way they define themselves. Scott had many talents, not all of them predicated on his athletic abilities. Could he have found new realms that stimulated him?

I can't answer that for Scott, but certainly some people, with the right support, climb out of awfully dark holes.

Be forewarned Monsieur Tackman: Should you crush yourself against a tree farming that little poke of snow of yours up at Blewett Pass, I'll be on hand to slap you around.

author=ADappen link=topic=26742.msg112852#msg112852 date=1357066296]
It also had me thinking about the role I should play with those I am closer to should bends in their lives crush the way they define themselves. Scott had many talents, not all of them predicated on his athletic abilities. Could he have found new realms that stimulated him?

I understand that Scott was seriously injured in a recreational accident. Complications from this event led to his depression. This could happen to any of us (or our friends). Very sobering to think about how we would respond.

Thank you everyone for posting about
Scott ! He was the most amazing, positive
fun loving , hard working, caring soul you
could imagine. He was one of the most
positive influences in my life, many times
pushing my limits and riding lines that I
wasn't sure I would ever ride! No one had
more fun rippin pow than wicklund. Regretfully,
I never told him how much he means to me.
See u on the other side brother!

Thanks Scott mc.

John

Paid a little additional tribute on the way home from Entiat yesterday, Jamie -- added a few scribbles in the snow on Diamond Head in glorious afternoon light, with your turns in mind.

Skied a beautiful line on Shuksan yesterday with Wick watching over us.  We could still see his smile and hear his laugh echoing from the glaciers.

RIP friend......."haul ass, safety last!"

MM

This is a really nice post, Jamie.  Thank you. 

I miss Scott too.

Thanks everyone, for the kind thoughts, and words. 

And haul ass safety last, may well have been his credo.

I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm sure you were a great friend to him, as you are to everyone.  Lol, linda

Hey Jaime, my name is John. Like you,
I am a friend of scotts. You may already
know about a memorial for Scott, Saturday
at noonish , chute 7  at mission ridge. Wondering
how best to get the word out? IMO the man
deserves his own thread, no a super-thread,
but a hijack of your TR might have to do! Anyways, I hope
to meet you and many other of scotts friends
there, thanks!!!

John

Reply to this TR

december-30-2012-blewett-blue