Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2012, Mt. Cashmere, East Peak S. Park

December 30, 2012, Mt. Cashmere, East Peak S. Park

12/30/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jwplotz on 12/30/12 11:33am
Ya gotta strike while the iron is hot.  Kyle Flick and I spent the last two days making laps on Mt. Cashmere's east ridge/shoulder, aka South Park area.  It's a quick hit and in prime condition right now in terms of coverage and snow quality.  Today I added the east peak or east knob of Mt. Cashmere.  I don't know what the local rippers have dubbed it.  It has various northeast facing gullies that provide a nice run in a shaded aspect.

Saturday was kinda overcast with intermittent sun. 
http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/sp1.jpg" />

Today was a totally different story.  Warm sun with temps feeling well above freezing level on South to Southeast aspects. 
http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/sp3.jpg" />

The skies were crystal clear in that way only winter can provide.  This was a bit of a catharsis to the month-long wildfire smoke we endured in October.  We crested the fishhook east ridge and got a good look at the east peak of south park.  I skied the gully climber's left.

I broke trail up the ridge, at times skirting small gendarmes on either side, at other times booting through windlips.  Kyle stayed lower as I continued up to the top of the knob and had lunch.  The views were great as usual, and my perch allowed for a interesting vista of the NE Face of Mt. Cashmere.

I enjoyed a nice lunch of soup and coffee, basking in the windless sunshine.  Mike Rolfs can have his oysters.  I'll take my coffee! 

As the evening wore on, the light softened and the pow-filled gully beckoned.  I took a few parting shots as I made my way down.

The gully was fun, filled with that eastside light and dry.  It's a great fall-line, similar in steepness to the Cannon Mt. Couloir.  Here's what it looks like at the top looking down.

At the bottom at a flat area, I donned the skins again and worked my way back out to the ridge crest for a fantastic powder run all the way down to the 8 Mile Rd.

Happy skiing everyone!

Great photos and nice report.  One of these days we'll share a summit snack.  I like coffee too.

John, you do get after it! Great line, and wonderful pictures. thanks

Thanks Mike.  Yes let's get out. I have to say, my heart skipped a beat when Andy hit that rock and took a forward tumble in your foothills video.

yeha it is!!!  from that vantage point it's clearly obvious you can ride the ICG to axis mt gully direct. looks fun! ;)

Great shots John. thanks. that nw face of cannon looks just  tad boney for the phat snowpack you have out there?

Reply to this TR

december-30-2012-mt-cashmere-east-peak-s-park
jwplotz
2012-12-30 19:33:24