Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2005, Cutthroat Pass

April 18, 2005, Cutthroat Pass

4/18/05
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by kfoxpnw on 4/18/05 5:31am
Left the car @ rainy pass a little after 9am.  Followed a well used skin track along the PCT to the log bridge.  Then another so so track for a bit before making my own.  The conditions were hard and frozen in the trees and then a little, 1", fresh on a crust once in the more open trees farther up porcupine creek.

After stopping twice to clean caking snow off my skins >:(, and repairing a ski pole I snaped in two banging the skis to try to clean aforementioned snow, I arrived at Cutthroat pass about Noon.  This was my first trip up there and it was f-ing beautiful8).   Clear skies, snow stuck to everything in sight, and only a slight breeze.

A quick bagel w/ PB and I headed down toward Cutthroat lake.  Almost immedaitely I said to myself 'I should have started earlier'.  To call the snow slush or massed potatoes would be too kind.  I would liken it more to partially set up concrete.  A couple turns were made in the open but once in the trees it was a bit more challenging.  Find an opening, follow it untill you are blocked by trees, kick turn, and repeat.  Entertaining and exciting, yes. Graceful, Hell no!.  

Found the well worn trail/snowshoe/dog/skin track down in the valley and coasted all the way back to hwy 20 by 1:15.  A quick hitch and I was back at the car.  I'd love to do this tour again when it corns up a bit.  It's a treat to make a little loop (sort of) instead of the usual out and back. :)  

Reply to this TR

april-18-2005-cutthroat-pass
kfoxpnw
2005-04-18 12:31:19