Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2005, Dickerman Mountain

April 17, 2005, Dickerman Mountain

4/17/05
Posted by scotteryx on 4/17/05 9:02pm
Volunteered to help lead a conditioner for a local climbing group and was told it was a snowshoe. Having been up Dickerman many times before when I used to snowshoe, I knew it would not be the most ski friendly trip, but did not want to stop my "No Snowshoe" rule. After loaning out my snowshoes I had the perfect excuse from bringing the skis.

The Mtn Loop is snow free, and we did not encounter snow until 4000 feet (TH=1800'). Did not start skinnning until about 4500' due to the patchy trail. Once out in the meadows it started to snow and seemed to be decent coverage. The upper meadows seemed to provide good lines here and there, and I began to get stoked on the way up.

From the summit, the first 500' we creamy corn on top of a firm layer of non-breakable crust. The consolidation of the entire south facing slope was great, with only a few loose snow debris releasing on the way down.

As I lost more elevation, it really warmed up and the snow turned to slush and the trees began to get thicker. Went as far down as I could and then hiked out with the rest of the group.

I was asked at the end of the day if it was really worth it to lug the skis and wear the boots, I said, Always worth it....
From Dickerman I imagine you could see down into the Perry Creek Basin to the north that separates Dickerman from Forgotten? If so, how is the coverage in the basin down lower?

A friend and I were in there right after the new snow began falling a few weeks ago and we wallowed around in knee-deep and deeper, but it seems that the "new" snow is consolidating/disappearing rapidly below 4000'.

I know the answer to is it worth it, but given hindsight and the possibility of a flexible plan, would you choose some place higher for more fun?

We could not see from the summit since we got socked, but I have seen that from the Perry Creek trail before. I would guess that the north facing slopes in that valley have been protected since the recent snowfalls, so it might be worth checking out. I have always wanted to head back there in the winter but it seems to be one huge terrain trap from the trailhead to the falls.

I would have gone many other places since I dont like hiking with my skis, and I am sure Shuksan Arm would have been awesome yesterday. But when the only option is a snowshoe hike, I will always prefer the grunt with the skis.

Curious what SnowKing might be like right now, or Sahale Arm. Anyone know access? And Ruth Mountain? That's another scary valley in the winter, but it might start settlin in the next few weeks with this onslight of warm weather.

Snowking looked great! The access I've heard is not fun, but I'd still like to get up there. Ruth mnt shouldn't have more than a mile or so of road, while I imagine the trail won't be entirely skiable. I was up at Baker/shuksan arm this weekend and found 2 feet or more of slop. This will be good stuff after some freeze/thaw for a week or more. Right now it isn't very safe. Sahale will still be good. I was in the general area several weeks ago and I can't imagine that there is less snow now than then. Go get it! 8)

Here's Sahale Arm a month ago:

Thanks for the info Jason, much appreciated.
We might just go after the Sulphide after all with the approach on SnowKing. We are doing a one-day trip only - so that or Ruth might be the better option.

If the road is clear to the washout and the steep fishermans trail is reasonable travel to 4K, then Snowking is do-able in a long-ish day (long-ish being relative, but you seem to be up for big days from seeing reports here and on wta.org...). Definitely an extra bit above Shuksan, though. Better ski:hike ratio than Dickerman!!

Reply to this TR

april-17-2005-dickerman-mountain
scotteryx
2005-04-18 04:02:38