Home > Forum > April 15, 2005, Baker

April 15, 2005, Baker

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
18 Apr 2005 02:05 - 18 Apr 2005 02:11 #211913 by snoslut
April 15, 2005, Baker was created by snoslut
Got a phone call from a buddy Thursday morning that Baker will be off the hook on Friday.  With that said the arrangements were made.  The next morning me and Mike D (not to be confused with the one and only Mike D from the boys, the boys, the Beastie, Beastie Boys but same name) found ourselves driving in and out of rain squals.  The closer we got to Baker there is a realization that it maybe whiteout up there but we'll remain optimistic for the moment.<br><br>Pulled into the parking lot by 9am.  Winds were moderate and clouds were in and out.  Was really windy on chair 7 but soon calmed as we rode towards 8.  On 8 there was no wind.  At the top I dropped by the patrol shack.  Patrol mentioned that they had one hell of a time opening certain areas inbounds and that going higher would be nuts.  Also noticed the sign posting the Canyon closed due to extreme avi danger.  By the time I was done chatting with patrol it turned into a whiteout and started to snow.  Temps were cold and flakes small for the moment.  Let's play around the inbounds today.<br><br>Mike D and I found ourselves doing laps between chair 5 and 8.  The trees and steeps off 5 were gnar!  Snow never really consolidated on this aspect so it was deeeeep.  Winds loaded the top of the runs.  Winds also knocked snowbombs down from the trees.  Nice sections of knee to thigh deep pow were harvested along with more drops than you can shake a stick at.  Picking our way thru the chutes was a challenge at times.  Most a them had already slid down to the crust layer or ground/rock in some areas.  Couple of them had huge debris field to negotiate. Anyway we quickly snagged what was left.  The ones that didn't slide did after going thru it.  Top 6-8'' sluffed easily.<br><br>By noon this area was feeling a little tracked out for our taste.  You know its tracked out and sketch when you see people kicking steps back up the chutes you had gone down earlier.  Time for laps on 8.  Also by this time the temps had started to warm.  Snow thickened a bit but it all carved good.  Was some of the biggest snow flakes I've seen.  We stayed in the trees and found fresh lines for the rest of the day.  Despite the bad visibility Mike D and I found plenty of goods inbounds to keep smiles on our faces all the way home, well almost.  Drove by Grahams to find a closed sign on the door. ??? &gt;:(  Had to settle for Subway in Sedro.  Doesn't go down quite the same. ;D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.