Home > Trip Reports > December 23, 2012, Heather/Skyline

December 23, 2012, Heather/Skyline

12/23/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Marcus on 12/23/12 9:32am
We had most of the ridge to ourselves today, as US2 was closed just east of the Stevens summit parking lots and it was hard to figure out from WADOT whether the pass was open, so I think it funneled a bunch of folks elsewhere.

Excellent coverage and north and east facing aspects skied beautifully with 1-2 feet of styrofoamy powder.  Skied a number of the short steep shots with no sluffs or fractures.  Pits showed a more right-side-up snowpack than recent reports, at least in the top 3 feet, with a CT22, Q2 fracture about 15" down on a 35 degree NE facing slope.

Great day of turns and a tired puppy downstairs on the couch...
Nice, Marcus. Sounds like a good day for you.

David and I are two that headed elsewhere after hearing of limited lift service at Stevens. We went to the chairs at Snoqualmie, which really weren't that crowded for a holiday weekend.

Saw Zap and friends working some nice lines.

Looking around Snoqualmie, I think we need a couple more storms to really fill things in.

Probably a decent call Doug -- sounds like a bunch of the Leavenworth based Stevens employees couldn't get up the highway.  The resort was empty and they weren't spinning all the chairs, at least in the morning...

Stevens seems to have gotten more of the last storm cycle than Snoqualmie, for sure.  Damn good coverage for December.

author=Marcus link=topic=26634.msg112294#msg112294 date=1356312739]
We had most of the ridge to ourselves today...

Yah.
It was DESERTED at the pass. No highway noise, even...
"All I can hear is the ringing in my ears."
Kurt agreed, citing his own ringing ears.
It was great. :-)

Snoqualmie is terrible. No good coverage, head to Stevens and crystal.

agreed on slim coverage at pass

We skiied saturday in the resort and there were no lift lines and no traffic on way home, kind of strange. heather ridge looked deserted too.

Reply to this TR

december-23-2012-heather-skyline
Marcus
2012-12-23 17:32:19