Home > Trip Reports > December 22, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

December 22, 2012, Snoqualmie Pass

12/22/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 12/22/12 10:32am
If Stefan was in Kentucky last week, then we sampled some part of Commonwealth west of there, perhaps Montana.

After the requisite woods-wandering in the Basin proper, we rambled up to the East Peak of Snoqualmie, egged on by an effective but occasionally spicy skintrack. Thank you! The sun broke through the clouds as we neared the top; pretty place.

Above ~5k, windy spots were wind affected. Ridges loaded in both directions by yesterday's E winds (and the prevailing past). Icy rime crust on top, especially E aspects. Soft-ish windslab had us worried in spots, but we were lured from a conservative route to ski powder above treeline. Best snow in sheltered glades below treeline. Unconsolidated snow near creeks got us both; mind the holes!

Stability-wise, nothing moved. I'd expected some reactive snow, but we didn't find it.

Happy holidays!
Sweden today for us... but I do believe we heard your voices. Only possible explanation I could muster is that sound must travel at a much higher efficiency rate in the higher realms... Though I'm pretty sure I saw your tracks too. Not sure how to explain that. Montana, eh?  Looks pretty!  Def no Santas in Sweden...

Will post pics later...

West facing timbered slopes had excellent stable 8-12" powder today 5500-4000'.  Partly cloudy with light winds above 5000', foggy below.

I like Susan's hat. Is she skiing with the hat during the snow day's ?

Toured up to the exit of Thunder Creek and enjoyed 2 laps in the Phantom Trees meeting the vague description Silas gave. Settled 6-12" powder with immediate cross loading above 5k. As you can see the Exit chute was loading from the wind and exposed rocks right below the cornice. I triggered a small section 5-8' back from the lip of the cornice, not resulting avalanche on the slope below, but not a big trigger.

the twelve pics of Sweden:

Sweden's South Couloir

at the airport - but no security(?)

we must each seize our own security...
despite pockets of wind slab we found Sweden to be very stable today

passages of fog and snowflakes

Pavel got security clearance

Sweden... not too bad!

we liked Sweden so much we went back for more!

at the top, surprise!  Swedish Christmas Tree

a view to the other side... Iceland? Minnesota? Nirvana? whatever... not too shabby

a couple of jump turns broke up the 1/4'' ice crust on top of the swedish col

John ripping in Sweden

swedish ninja says: log crossing? no problem!

in Sweden people work hard for their pleasure,
and we were eager to integrate

My ancestors had some sweet terrain.

Nice write up Stefan, it felt good to explore the Old Norse roots.

L****n calling, yeah, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!

;)

Conditions in the Far East were excellent as well.

Reply to this TR

december-22-2012-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2012-12-22 18:32:12