Home > Trip Reports > april 17, 2005, paradise

april 17, 2005, paradise

4/17/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kam on 4/17/05 6:51am
the six of us arrived at Paradise 10am.  it was snowing lightly, and there was a few new inches on top of a well saturated layer covered with runnels.  west aspects were wind-scoured and skinning was difficult on steep terrain.  visibility was poor, too, but we managed to make our way to Pan Point and took lunch to wait for the sun.  lots of other people wandering around in the white up there.  we planned to ski down to Mazama ridge, but changed our minds after considering the lack of visibility and evidence of wind slabs on lee slopes -- appeared to be poor bonding between the rain-crust and the new snow.  luckily, we found decent skiing as Peter Spruance demonstrates:

ron j and co.: i thought i saw your vehicle in the lot.  i bet you guys were skiing the deep somewhere.

i'll post more photos later...
Nice photo, Kam.
Yeah, we were up there.  Unfortunately, the only "deep" we skied was bottomless styrofoam and then just enough to change aspects.
But as you say there was some great skiing on the supportable raincrust with the new freshies on top.  Definately worth the trip, eh?

hi Ron.  styrofoam is right, about 5-feet of it.  good thing the crust was strong.  it carved nicely.  i figured that snow deposited by westerlies would have been a good ski, but it was more slab-like and easy to move.  oh well.  glad you guys had fun!

Definately worth the trip, eh?
 Does a worm poop dirt?!  ;)  Sure was much more fun skiing than the glare-ice conditions we skied the last time I was at Pan Pt. (January).

Reply to this TR

april-17-2005-paradise
kam
2005-04-17 13:51:11