Home > Forum > Skill Practice Area Advice

Skill Practice Area Advice

• awatterson
  • [awatterson]
More
18 Dec 2012 14:10 #207635 by awatterson
Skill Practice Area Advice was created by awatterson
Being relatively new to the area and new to bc skiing, I hoping to find any recommendations for places that might offer a chance to practice skills and build fitness/efficiency?  I’m think I’m looking for something I can hit up safely with or without a partner, within an hour or so of Seattle, and without any requirement for excitement, views or adventure.   

I’ve searched and scanned the trip reports and thinking maybe just heading up one of the forest roads near Hyak might be the ticket, but wanted to see if there was any additional advice or areas to explore.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
18 Dec 2012 17:36 #207638 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
Lapping Hyak when they are not in session is a popular diversion for folks with limited time.

• awatterson
  • [awatterson]
More
18 Dec 2012 19:08 #207647 by awatterson
Replied by awatterson on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice

Lapping Hyak when they are not in session is a popular diversion for folks with limited time. 

Thank you Chamois! When you say session, do you mean open, or are the cool with people heading up hill early mornings when the lifts aren't running?

• Jim_Clement
  • [Clem]
More
18 Dec 2012 19:32 #207649 by Jim_Clement
Replied by Jim_Clement on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
I skinned up Summit West on Saturday starting at 8:15. The lifts were not spinning when I started but did start when I was half way up. Management caught up with me when I skied down and in a very cordial way asked me to not skin the runs after 8:00 am. I don't know if this is established policy but it certainly makes a lot of sense, and I shouldn't have been on the slope when ticket holders were skiing down. There have been many posts about skiing up ski runs previously, for example
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=18658.0

More
18 Dec 2012 20:49 #207650 by r1de
Replied by r1de on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
This is a great question. Some good suggestions, too. When I was in that same boat, I found that skinning West and Hyak in spring (post-season) was perfect. During the winter, I'd second the suggestion about hitting Hyak during the midweek when it's closed. It's a relatively safe and well-traveled area, and you can go right up the face and never totally lose sight of the base area.

• awatterson
  • [awatterson]
More
19 Dec 2012 10:55 #207655 by awatterson
Replied by awatterson on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
Searching further and focusing on Hyak, I realized that my question has been asked and answered many times before.  Apologies for the bad etiquette. 

I apparently need to work on my message board skills as well.

Thanks everyone for humoring me. 

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Dec 2012 11:52 #207661 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
For pure descending skills practice and conditioning -- night skiing at Alpental Tuesday-Friday is a good workout that doesn't interfere with a "9-to-5" work schedule.  Lines are typically quite short.   Summit Central is another option -- the Triple-60 lift accesses some steep (though short) slopes and often holds bits and pieces of untracked snow long after everything else is packed out. Wednesday nights at Summit West is where lessons are conducted for the Washington Alpine Club / Mountaineers Randonee and Telemark program.

More
23 Dec 2012 11:50 #207739 by JNK
Replied by JNK on topic Re: Skill Practice Area Advice
So when people do go to Hyak by themselves to tour around, are you just following right under the chair lifts (front and back side)? Or just skinning up where ever right up the face(s)? It seems like a perfect place to go when I want to get a few laps in by myself but I also want to make sure there is some sort of protocol on how to do it.