Home > Forum > Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos?

Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos?

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Apr 2005 11:10 #171541 by Larry_Trotter
Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos? was created by Larry_Trotter
I got a new camcorder.. Sony handycam dcr-hc90, small but with lots of features... <br><br>I now realize there are some problems with recording snow shots - the snow being very bright makes the camera want to darken the shot. <br><br>There is a special beach and snow AE setting which I tried, but my video became strangely pixillated when downloaded to the computer using Windows Movie Maker. <br><br>I have made successful video clips, but snow shots seem to be more of a challenge. I was wondering if anyone had any special techniques? Or weblinks that discuss snow shots?<br> <br>Someday, I want to look into a helmet cam.<br><br>Now, I suppose someone's going to tell me they use a pinhole cam and get great snow shots! Thanx - Rux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Apr 2005 13:51 #171546 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos?
Dumb question - Is there a manual exposure setting on the camera (I don't know your specific camera)? If so, that should do the trick.<br><br>I keep meaning to duct tape a camera mount to a bike helmet and try out a helmet cam. Then there's the innovation pioneerd in Evil Dead Two - Wobble Cam, where they put the camera in the middle of a length of 2x4 and had two guys run around carrying each end. I'm not sure that one would work as well on skis, though.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Apr 2005 15:46 #171549 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos?
The camera has lots of settings... I'll figure it out eventually. I just need to do some more experimenting...

More
15 Apr 2005 18:27 #171550 by Scole
Replied by Scole on topic Re: Camcorder Techniques for Ski Videos?
<br>Not sure if you're trying to film someone while you are stationary or moving-<br><br>Either way, add a neutral density or polarizing filter on to your camcorder. This will also help cut down on the overexposure. If you're trying to film someone else while you're moving, get a wide angle lens as well. Nothing's more frustrating than watching someone turn in- and turn out- of the video frame! &gt;:(<br><br>A friend of mine shoots video for a living & he gave me one suggestion for filming while moving:<br><br>Buy one of those small backpacking tripods (Ultrapod II at REI) and add a bicycle type grip onto the closed shaft of the tripod. You just fiddle with the angle of the camera on the tripod & it will allow you to move along with your arms in a more natural position but still maintain the direction of the camera (I snowboard, BTW). This also will allow you to film some neat shots such as having your friend behind you as you film.<br><br>I've just started using this technique & don't quite have it down (need that wide angle lens!). Previously, I used the lipstick tube type camera attached to my helmet. I generally liked those results but you have to be conscious about where you look & minimize your head turns.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Apr 2005 03:31 #171553 by Larry_Trotter
Scole - thanks for the ideas. I am definitly going to get the filter. Same as a UV filter? As for wide angle, I think I am pretty well set there. I have a 10X zoom and I can shoot in 16:9 mode which gives me a landscape mode - probably adds to the mbytes on a movie file.<br><br>By the way. I have just loved the video contris posted on TAY. Thanks a lot guys! I like watching skiing as much as doing it.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Apr 2005 15:56 #171566 by Larry_Trotter
...figured out what my biggest problem was... I finally went out and got a firewire cable. That made a big difference over a usb cable to the computer. I am listing a couple of sample videos in Lift Accessed <br>Ski reports for Crystal Mtn, Thurs, April 14.<br><br>