Home > Forum > Phantom Slide equivalent on Steven's Pass?

Phantom Slide equivalent on Steven's Pass?

• Benk
  • [Benk]
More
13 Dec 2012 15:58 #207556 by Benk
Living in Seattle, I've skied Phantom at Snoq Pass and it's variations the Slot and Crooked dozens of times through the years.  I love touring up through the steep old growth with a few technical cliff bands to wind through, then the decision to head to the Slot or peak out.  When conditions are bad, the trees offer protection and you can turn around before the open slopes.  On the way down you can ski the waterfall for a great finish, even air a cliff or two on the way out.  All this an hour from Seattle where I could be back to work by noon having skied a 6,000ft + peak.

We recently moved out to Monroe which we love, but the local pass is now Steven's.  I've scanned topo for hours now looking for a route on the Steven's side that can match Phantom.  A few mountains beckon more research - Arrowhead Mountain, Lichtenberg Mountain, Rock Mountain are on the short list. 

Anyone know of any routes right off Hwy 2 that can match the quality and ease of Phantom?

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2012 23:51 - 14 Dec 2012 00:04 #207566 by Plinko
Haven't done Arrowhead, but Rock and Lichtenburg are pretty tame compared to your slot exploits.  Mt. Howard and Mastiff might have something for you.  West Northwest side of Baring might float your boat on a good snow year.  A few photos and a topo here:  www.willhiteweb.com/washington_climbing/...g/index_area_041.htm
There's other variations like dropping all the down to Barkley, or on the west southwest side.  It's a good place for BASE and big wall if you're into that.
You're closer to Alpine Lakes now, more than a few sporting lines there. In spring there's Maude, Chiwawa, North Star, Clark, all 8k'+ with plenty of variations.

More
14 Dec 2012 10:10 #207571 by Pete_H
In my experience the b/c terrain at Stevens is not quite as accessible as Snoqualmie, but the tradeoff is that the snow and conditions are consistently better. For quick access there's a number of lines that I'll hit off of Skyline Ridge which are pretty good, though not as long as Mt. Snoqualmie. There's also a considerable amount of slackcountry accessible from the ski area, such as C-Yodelin / Wenatchee Bowl, Cowboy Ridge, and the Fleur De Lis. Lichtenberg has some great terrain but isn't as accessible and conditions need to be just right.