Home > Forum > Zap's Thoughts on Skiing after a Stroke & Seizure

Zap's Thoughts on Skiing after a Stroke & Seizure

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Dec 2012 11:20 #207545 by Zap
We skied Wednesday at Summit West on the slope with the Little Thunder lift.  This was my first day of ‘downhill skiing’ since my stroke in February 2012.  Although it was groomed there were 4-5” of fresh powder on top of it which made skiing challenging for me.  I was nervous about using the lift and had to really focus on what I was doing. There were no mishaps and it felt like the old days.

I had a few days of relearning to ski corn last spring and summer, and have really been looking forward to skiing this winter.  Then a few weeks ago I had bit of a setback when I had a seizure (very unexpected, but not uncommon after a major stroke).  It was a brief setback, but now that I’m finally on the right anti-seizure medication, I can think about skiing again!  The only complication is that I can’t drive for 6 months.  Arghh!

It’s been interesting to return to skiing after teaching downhill and backcountry skiing and avy classes for years.  I’ve skied for 45 years and remember buying my randonee gear about 25 years ago.  Jill and I have skied and toured all around the world.  But now I’m starting at the beginning and having to focus on putting all of the components together – I feel like a beginning intermediate skier!   And it’s kind of fun, which surprises everyone because that’s not the usual reaction to something like this!  It would be easy to remember what used to be and to get hung up on that.  Jill keeps reminding me that the muscle memories are still there, and every so often everything does come together.  It’s just going to take time on the boards getting comfortable on the snow and building up my strength…  The medical rehab folks who have worked with me are amazed at the great strides that I’ve made.  It’s rather interesting to remember how comfortable I felt skiing in spring snow, especially now that I find skiing powder rather challenging.  Strange given how much I used to love skiing fresh powder.  I’m even reviewing the class notes that I used to teach skiing powder…  This is a new situation which is so different from when I would enjoy climbing and skiing all kinds of new terrain.   But, at this point I feel comfortable where I’m at, knowing that I’m getting better each time I go out. 

During the upcoming season, Jill and I will be skiing in the Cascades, with friends in Utah, with the east coast kids in CO, and then in CA.  With our passes at Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows we’ll live in our Roadtrek van and ski in the Tahoe area, and then will tour along route 395 and the eastern Sierra.  If you see us along any of our favorite routes, stop and say hi.  We love seeing folks and having them break trail for us with a willing smile.

Zap and Jill  ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2012 11:26 #207546 by Pete A
nice Zap! glad you're getting out there and have so many plans for this ski season.

you and Jill are an inspiration to Becky and me....i've lost track of how many times we've said to one another 'we gotta get a camper so we can road trip the Sierras in the spring like Zap and Jill'

More
13 Dec 2012 15:25 #207553 by Robie
I thought about you today while skiing lifts first time since my injury. Those thoughts were "ski as smooth as Zap" And" when can I ski with him again !" Keep going Zap and enjoy it as it comes!

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
13 Dec 2012 15:56 #207555 by glenn_b
Wishing you and Jill a great season.

• jeremyallyn
  • [jeremyallyn]
More
13 Dec 2012 19:02 #207562 by jeremyallyn
Super inspiring. Thanks for sharing and for your insights and humility. I've been skiing since age 5 and touring for over 25 years. A while back, I broke both my feet badly and was in a wheelchair for a long time. I've had to relearn skills, adjust technique, and tone down objectives. It's been challenging and I have significant issues with one ankle. The "beginner's mind" serves us all well, though, eh? Sure wish my sweetie and I had an Roadtrek van! Have a fun winter, Zap and Jill.

• skimac
  • [cmaclaren]
More
14 Dec 2012 06:14 #207567 by skimac
Zap your spirit and determination are an inspiration to us all.

More
14 Dec 2012 09:12 #207568 by filbo
It is rare to happen upon those whose spirit is undaunted, undiminished and a light to all. Here's to a great winter and the hope that my path may cross yours on some snowy day.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Dec 2012 10:37 #207574 by Joedabaker
Zap you are a real ski hero!
Way to keep after it and I can live vicariously through your reports.
You and Jill just have a heck of a good time... may the wind be at you backs and the powder light!

More
14 Dec 2012 12:44 #207579 by ron j
Zap/Jill - Let's do some "Geezer Tours" together this winter!! :D

More
15 Dec 2012 12:05 #207593 by rippy
The report is just great Zap. Your determination and spirit are surely contributing to the success. I am getting back on the hills again after a mild stroke in May so indeed, we share a challenge. Later timing and getting my weight transfers right seem to be the areas of work for me but I'm getting out and skiing is the therapy. I'm suspecting in the (re-learning) process that motion interpretation, muscular response, get sorta programmed into the brain and when everything's working, these actions don't need much input to function. What used to be instinctive, drives more thought. Deeper snow is definitely trickier than it used to be because of this in my opinion. I'm really pleased to hear your news and keep em sliding! And if getting into form again means finding ourselves skiing un-tracked powder, bring it on.

More
17 Dec 2012 20:39 #207624 by GerryH
Yes Indeed Zap, both you and Jill are inspiring!  And to find the fun, beauty and adventure in learning to ski again ....... not many of us will get the chance to go around again!!  Have a fantastic winter adventure, as always!
Linda and Gerry