Home > Trip Reports > 12-12-12, slippery slit

12-12-12, slippery slit

12/12/12
Posted by alecapone on 12/13/12 2:59am
T bill and I went up to surprise zone yesterday. summer trail was easily skinable and snow shoers had a nice rut for us to the summer log crossing. stuck to the east side of the creek, but the west might be a little easier right now.

we climbed a steep open path directly above the surprise lake privy.  stable mix of powder and a rain crust from sunday eve all the way to above 6,000'.  skinned up to the base of slippery slab, then found a short micro notch and booted the final bit to the crest. couldn't see anything up at thunder lakes, and time was waning.  decent was ripper and zipper. Managed to make it all way to the valley at 3,500' with a little traversing. skins and headlamps on for the skootch out.

made it to seattle just in time for pages 12-12-12 birthday pork chop celebration.

If you are very confident in stability, go up, and climbers right of big rock. continue up and around behind the rock to the ridge. Entrance can also be reached from thunder lakes. Some sketchy down climbing was required. might fill in?

Sweet! When does the lodge open?

ha,

not yet. the building materials just showed up.

I was jonesin for a hot cup of coffee too. Double latte gu's weren't cutting it.

I would like to book a 3day weekend in mid Feb. Please. Do you require a damage deposit?  :)
Nice line Boys!

Strong day-trip push  8)
I'm sure the Alecapone Lodge would get done if Scott had some day-laborers to help, eh?

it was cool to see the photo after hearing you describe that line.  did you shoot that on the way out?  it seems like it was taken from up pretty high.

and the trip report wouldn't be complete without a picture of dinner...  thanks for the inspiration on my new favorite cut of pork!

Heh.. budget cutbacks at the park and stuff, so there may only be a cafeteria with limited services this year.  Staff is having to take on actuall employment in there off time. No desk personnel to take reservations, so first come first serve. Security is also gone, so there will be no one there to kick you out. So you might be able to sleep in the kitchen.

Ben.

I took that photo with you from lil plug about the same time last year. Coverage is about the same, so its a good representation.

Where is this location--live in Oregon.  Looks yummy.

google works amazingly well

Reply to this TR

12-12-12-slippery-slit
alecapone
2012-12-13 10:59:11