Home > Trip Reports > December 12, 2012, Mt. Catherine

December 12, 2012, Mt. Catherine

12/12/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 12/13/12 2:25am
Dave and I set out for Catherine at noon after a meeting I had to attend. Ran into Zap and Jill in in the parking lot, great to see you both!! Zap had his first day of lift skiing in 10 months.  :)

Snow was a bit heavy at the base of Hyak, too be expected. As we ascended it got drier and lighter. Once at the base of Catherine we climbed and skirted the mountain heading west to the ramp. Some beautiful ice hung off some cliff bands above an open slope which called for closer investigation and photos.
This cost us a bit of time but we reached the summit in 3.5 hours. The skies were clearing and the sun was beginning it's descent. It was a beautiful spot to be on the summit in that light.

We quickly stripped our skins, took a few pics and set off in the foot and a half of powder on a solid base. Some traversing and meandering took us through the low covered slopes and tight trees as we scurried to get to the road before dark and we did just in time.
The stars were became brighter as we skied the road and were back at the car at 5:30.

A fantastic day with beautiful lighting and a superb view of the prelude to the setting sun.

photoS

Nice lisa!
cool icicles!

looks like a great outing.  probably saw you up there.  buddy and i did laps, front/back, of hyak.  would have done catherine if we didn't have to be in town earlier  :)

Great to see you and meet Dave and his dog and the photos.

Cornelius, were you folks the ones with dogs?

Great to see you too again Zap! Sorry to  hear you cannot drive for 6 months but best be safe and I know Jill is happy to drive you around and about.  ;)

I should have mentioned that the new snow had not bonded so the ~16 inches easily sloughed off the crust layer with our turns. The layer beneath was solid.

Hi Lisa,
I was looking longingly at Catherine from the top of the Silver runs today - it looked spectacular today.  Great pics.  Tell Kratsch hi!

Nice choice for the afternoon.  You may have run into 'Noogs and me on our way out.
He makes quite an impression:

Ed, your dog looks like the Sphinx!  Is that a close up, or can you
ride him?

I know! (Check out the photo title :)).
It's a close up, but he is big enough to ride, for sure. You'd have to be resigned to going wherever he wants to go though, and God forbid he sees a squirrel!

i was with the other feller travelin dogless.  looks like all the pups had a great afternoon.

Reply to this TR

december-12-2012-mt-catherine
Lisa
2012-12-13 10:25:54