Home > Trip Reports > Dec 9, 2012, steven's pass pow pillows

Dec 9, 2012, steven's pass pow pillows

12/9/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by bs. on 12/11/12 9:18am
went out on sunday with a few other pow enthusiasts to see if all this talk of huge storms dumping on steven's pass were true.

we headed east of the crest & found conditions that were pretty ideal--a right side up snowpack that had settled just enough to be reasonable for trailbreaking and stable for riding.  ski cuts and skin stomps on low-consequence features produced no results.  smashing through fluffy pillows of pow produced huge smiles.

I was wondering if you got any pics of the log crossing...

How did the dog do - was he with your group?  Hard to imagine a dog making it through the deep pillows.

Did the guy slipping off the log make it over with dry landing gear?  I would have been sideways in the creek, for sure.

The dog charges pillow lines like a pro... I made it out with only a wet skin. I thought I should demonstrate my collapsed snow log crossing self rescue technique... ::)

videos here https://vimeo.com/55314198

Has a clip of cololo (the dog) charging

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=26460.msg111613#msg111613 date=1355287561">
How did the dog do - was he with your group?  Hard to imagine a dog making it through the deep pillows.

Did the guy slipping off the log make it over with dry landing gear?  I would have been sideways in the creek, for sure.

kololo is scott's dog and has accompanied us on many adventures.  she kept up like a trooper all the way to the top as we broke trail.  on the way down she charged as well, even launching some pillow drops without even slowing down to check the landing.  by the bottom of the run, though, she was showing signs of exhaustion, so scott made the wise choice to let her rest in the car while we put in the skin track for the second lap.

more pics are in this trip report.

wow, awsome pillows...so envious

True story. went to the doctor due to really bad allergies recently. he told me to try fresh pillows! Feeling great today!

Don,

You haven't met my new puppy, Kololo(like the peak). Lucky is too old to tour anymore, and sadly, I had to let go of Yana.

She loves steeps, small drops and pow, but it was a little too deep for her that day. when she was doing the doggy porpoise, she kept going below the snow. 

author=alecapone link=topic=26460.msg111715#msg111715 date=1355424326]
You haven't met my new puppy, Kololo(like the peak). Lucky is too old to tour anymore, and sadly, I had to let go of Yana.
She loves steeps, small drops and pow, but it was a little too deep for her that day. when she was doing the doggy porpoise, she kept going below the snow. 

Hi Scott,
Sorry to hear about Yana.  My Anna is getting old but still a gamer for moderate trips.  Kololo is my new downhill hero!  great video, you guys!

Reply to this TR

dec-9-2012-steven-s-pass-pow-pillows
bs.
2012-12-11 17:18:36