Home > Trip Reports > Dec 11, 2012, Crusty Slot, Tour of Shame

Dec 11, 2012, Crusty Slot, Tour of Shame

12/11/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by fresh on 12/11/12 7:59am
My name is Doug and I think I might have a problem. I skied the Slot today. I looked at the telemetry and knew it wouldn't be good. I drove up to the mountain, and surmised by the globby crusty snow that it wouldn't be good. As we skinned up, pole tests and nasty scraping sounds from my skis further confirmed that it wouldn't be good. Adventure skinning got us past the waterfall. And then the crust started to weaken! Maybe we'll get above the rain-snow line? Nope. We hit the clearing below the summit and the crust gained renewed vigor. WTF. We pulled out the ski crampons. Finally we reached the familiar nook at the top of the run. I peered down. A skiff of snow covered the tattoo marks of recent tracks from happier times. My buddy dropped in first. Loud scraping, punctuated by xtreme jump turns. How on earth did I get upsold from "lets skin some laps at West"? No wait, that was my idea, crap... Either way, it isn't healthy -- I have an addiction and I'm surrounded by enablers!

Of course, most addictions have their highs. I eventually started to get the rhythm. Sluff had piled up on the crust in a few spots making for fun turns. I even got a wind-assisted face shot at one point. This isn't too bad! This is a totally logical way to spend my day. All those fools in town are missing out on this beautiful mountain scenery!

But half-way down the Phantom, the hangover started to kick in. The evil trap crust grabbed at our skis. Eventually I was reduced to stem turns, then kick turns, then awkward flailing. A couple creek crossings and we were miraculously back at the cars. We searched for the silver lining. "Could have been worse!", "at least it wasn't all like that bottom section," and "I'm really glad my knees didn't explode." And now I'm sitting here thinking about the next tour. Have I no shame? When am I going to find rock bottom??
Classic.  Could have been the subject of many a field report by the addicted.  Usually preceded by "How bad could it be?"

Doug, A great adventure and you returned the way you left.   ;)

I'd also considered the Slot as a destination for today. Thanks for confirming that sleeping in was the right choice!

nicely done Doug!  nothin' wrong with being a little too optimistic about what you'll find

Doug, you are not alone! Knowing you have a problem
is half the battle!

Still jealous; you had more fun than I did today. Thumbs up.

I don't understand what the problem is?  Seems like you did it right, better than lapping West at least!

This made my day.  Now I feel less crazy and normalized :)

There is a 1 million step program for that, fresh.

Pass the needle.

Call me spoiled....to each his own! ???  Good to see it's filled in.  Thanks for the beta...sorry you had to go through that to get it.

i'm happy to report that Doug has graduated from rehab today

Yay Doug!! A rooster tail is way better
than doing it cold turkey! Nice.

Reply to this TR

dec-11-2012-crusty-slot-tour-of-shame
fresh
2012-12-11 15:59:19