Home > Trip Reports > Alpental Dec 9, 2012

Alpental Dec 9, 2012

12/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 12/9/12 1:52pm
Snow was much lighter than Friday which made for some fantastic turns.

After an Avalanche 2 field session a few of us opted to take advantage of the said snow conditions.
We scurried to the top of chair one, then toured to the ridge top of Ingrid's Inspiration where we blazed powder turns and pillow drops between the cliff bans that are growing more robust with ice.

Afternoon warms temps began to set in and by beer-30 it had begun raining.  :(

Great to run into friends after the fact only to learn their tracks were the only others on that slope. Beyond there, Meisters Gut was tracked up, in fact much of the lower mountain in addition to the slopes beneath chair 2.

Noticing roughly 40-50 cars in the lot there was a plethora of snow enthusiasts, mostly skiers. You realize how many lurkers there are vs posters.  ;)
Too true, big lurker over here! Great day at Xtal as the kids call it. Beacons off the moment the rain came. Sweeeet!

Lisa,  You still carry your camera.  ;)

Another lurker.  Selfishly skied right past your big group on the way down to get out of the rain.  Rude, I know!  Had been doing short laps on the top half most of the day to stay above the wet stuff.

The place was more crowded Friday and the snow quality much better.  At the top of chair 2 on lap 1 met up with Jahn, (on his 4th lap) and he still smoked me on the way down!

Ran into other lurkers on both days.  Skiing at a ski area isn't usually report-worthy for those hard core guys and gals.

So you got Dave to cave in and climb up eh?  Good.

Chuck, yes I persuaded Dave that if I broke trail it would be well worth the effort and it was.

Yes, Zap I do carry a camera although after taking Chucks picture the battery died.  :(

Glad you enjoyed the goods juan bended knee. I suspect you tele? Double face shots for you.

Plinko we were not the large group you passed. There were only 3 of us. Glad you made the best of it up high, if it were not for the winds we almost did the same Friday. Not enough time on Sunday darn it.

Lurker here too,  Juan, Emily, and I were there on our teleboards with Ms. America, Sidney the superdog.  Great push to the top of chair 2 with a heavy run down.  Sid was pretty whooped by the time we hit the bottom, which is rare, so I know it was a good day.    Shots below are of John dropping into some untouched softies, and the crew preparing for turns!

OK OK I'll admit it: we got first tracks down International (together with JPH and crew) - BUT only 'cause Lowell et al hung a left and dropped Edelweiss...

first time I've ever skinned Alpental. Skinning a ski area just seems... weird.  But with Rob straight from a burmese beach to skiing (5 hrs. sleep in 48 hrs.) a skin track in place had a certain appeal...

also, can't say I've ever skiied nash untracked. Super nice.

author=Lisa link=topic=26424.msg111497#msg111497 date=1355167407]
CPlinko we were not the large group you passed. There were only 3 of us.

But since one of those was Lisa it probably sounded like a mob of snowboarders headed up.:)

Here's the picture of Johnny dropping into shot six, which had a very visible (and scrapey) cornice from an earlier slide.  The snow sluffed significantly, but stayed stable beyond boot top depth.  

Nice to meet some of the lurkers.  :)

Love the pic of Sydney glenndmcc. I spoke to you briefly as you came off the bridge and we were leaving the lot to head up. You mentioned hitting shot 6, if that was you guys. Could be another group.

Yes, cumulus I can relate to that on Friday. It was strange skiing Nash for us  as well with no folks, nor bumps.

Good day to be out!

We were happy to be there on Sunday as well, and enjoyed the snow from top of Chair 1 before the fog set in.

Hey Lisa, I don't think that was us on the bridge.  We were in no way awake and at it to greet late comers to the party.  Either way, I think a great time was had by all!

Bridge lurker here.

Sunday was busy up there, but there was no shortage of untracked stashes. Good to see folks out and enjoying it.

author=cumulus link=topic=26424.msg111508#msg111508 date=1355177361]
OK OK I'll admit it: we got first tracks down International (together with JPH and crew) - BUT only 'cause Lowell et al hung a left and dropped Edelweiss...

first time I've ever skinned Alpental. Skinning a ski area just seems... weird.  But with Rob straight from a burmese beach to skiing (5 hrs. sleep in 48 hrs.) a skin track in place had a certain appeal...

also, can't say I've ever skiied nash untracked. Super nice.

Yeah, first tracks down International on smooth pow was pretty sweet!  I think lower I skied even better (deeper) than upper.  Awesome first powder day of the season.

There's no lower hanging fruit than a closed ski area on a early season powder day and, AFAIC, there's no shame in harvesting it when it's ripe.

Reply to this TR

alpental-dec-9-2012
Lisa
2012-12-09 21:52:24