Home > Trip Reports > Paradise 12-06-2012

Paradise 12-06-2012

12/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Snowolf on 12/8/12 7:33pm
It's really shaping up nicely up there! A couple of us spent a day splitting and lapping Alta Vista just above Paradise on Thursday. Wanted to go higher but the weather made for terrible visibility above the tree line. Strong west winds were making for a good start to the cornice building and wind loading on eastern aspects and filling in depressions nicely. We had a solid 55-60 inch base with almost a foot of new on top and some fine stashes in more sheltered spots.

Dug a hasty pit to ground on a southwest exposure where we were lapping the trees off of Alta Vista and although we discovered a layer of depth hoar about 2 feet down, all compression tests yeilded no results. Had a lot of fun and face shots were had by all. Cannot wait to get up there when we can actually see something! The snow was amazing on Thursday and it was clear down to the Nisqually entrance.

This was my first time riding my new 2013 Billy Goat split and I am really digging it!

Great photos and sounds like a great decision to keep it at the elevations you did. Can't wait to get up there. Nice report.

Reply to this TR

paradise-12-06-2012
Snowolf
2012-12-09 03:33:34