Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2005, Colchuck Glacier

April 10, 2005, Colchuck Glacier

4/10/05
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Ascensionist on 4/11/05 1:27am
Snowpack very stable save for a bit of wind-loaded snow higher up the glacier. A bit crusty, but no complaints--fun skiing.

Did you guys ski from the saddle in the picture?

How far up Mountaineer Creek road could you drive?

More information please...I'm leaning toward a couple days in the area this weekend....

Were you able to skin in or did you have to boot pack?

Ranger said road was clear to within 2 miles of trailhead, true?

Was the slope below Asgard (sp?) Pass skiable as well?

I'm interested in more beta, too!

>>Did you guys ski from the saddle in the picture?
We skiied from a couple hundred feet above the saddle.  Although the avy conditions were particularly stable, I still felt a bit uneasy about the somewhat wind-loaded conditions higher up the glacier; thus, we did not venture much above the saddle.

>>How far up Mountaineer Creek road could you drive?
I made it all the way to the TH in my 4WD Tacoma--I would not have wanted to try it in a vehicle with less clearance.  Road snow free until the 8-Mile TH (i.e., about 1 mile from the Colchuck/Stuart TH).  The last 1 mile follows deep snow ruts.

>>Were you able to skin in or did you have to boot pack?
Only the first few hundred feet of trail is snow free; skinning in would not have been much fun; there is solid boot pack to follow.  I did, however, manage to ski nearly back to the TH.

>>Was the slope below Asgard (sp?) Pass skiable as well?
There are a lot more obstacles visible within the slope than I have typically seen during this time of year; nevertheless, the Aasgard slopes looked like good skiing to me.

Have fun!
:D

Reply to this TR

april-10-2005-colchuck-glacier
Ascensionist
2005-04-11 08:27:16