Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2005, Van Trump Park

April 10, 2005, Van Trump Park

4/10/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by gusk on 4/10/05 6:38pm
Decided to try something new(for ourselves) this weekend and get away from the tracked lines.

Stephanie, Rodger and I all made our first ever trip to Van Trump Park.
We left the trailhead around 9:30, and carried our skis to Comet Falls.  It's kind of a toss up on skinning or carrying.  It's pretty postholed and there are intermittent sections and obstacles that are a pain for skinning.  The snow in the boot path was easy to walk on in the morning.
From the falls, the trail isn't that hard to follow until just before the park where you can just b-line up the edge of the gulley.
We did make a wrong turn at one point in the woods following some snowshoe tracks, that taught us to stay on the trail and ate up alot of energy, at least an hours worth.
We did make it up into the park though and got some good turns.  With the clouds that came in, I would say it turned heavy mush into "fast wet corn".  Easy turns.
The terrain is awesome up there, and the line to higher altitude looks like it would be alot of fun to ski.  Light hikers for the first mile and half would be perfect.
I'll definitely be back there in the future.

Reply to this TR

april-10-2005-van-trump-park
gusk
2005-04-11 01:38:55