Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2005, Paradise

April 10, 2005, Paradise

4/10/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 4/10/05 8:57am
mad_dog, JW, ronj, Monika, tdave and I met up in a sunny Paradise parking lot at 9am.

If you haven't heard, the snow is back an the coverage is very good.  But we all know this by now, so consider this fluff while I gather my thoughts...

We toured up the lower Edith Creek basin on 1" fresh light powder topping a firm crust.   "Kid in a candy store" mentality quickly set in as wide, darting eyes scoped seemingly endless untracked lines in all directions.  We made the obvious choice and skied what was closest (Alta Vista).  Took a couple of runs here only to find the snow a little "grabby and weird."

Decided to move on to a westerly aspect and toured up to a spot our guides dubbed Glacier Vista Ramp.  We spent the remainder of the day here and yo-yoed in continually improving snow conditions to our hearts' content.  I should mention that Monika has a VERY BIG heart... She lapped us all many, many times.  And I will say that tdave got in some good vertical too.

By the end of the day things had clouded over and cooled somewhat, everyone had had at least one encounter with the brood of snow snakes that must have been awakened by the constantly falling rocks and boulders slamming their ways down the cliffs across the Nisqually Glacier...and we all had smiles glowing.

Thanks folks, you're a great crew to tour with and I learn new things each time I join you.  This week's lesson: "Coming in hot ain't cool."  Duly noted and registered.  A jibber is never done learning.
This week's lesson: "Coming in hot ain't cool."  Duly noted and registered.  A jibber is never done learning.
 ;D
Jibber is a good listener and plays well with others  ;D  ;D

All joking aside it was a good day with great skiers, we found our slice of paradise and made hay while the sun shined. The way Monika climbs, I think she should be on the cover of the "Wheaties" box.   ;D

check back, photos coming later.

What was that streaking past ? Did ya see that?  8)

Great Grins on the viddy, Jerman.
I don't know how you keep coming up with the great films.  We'll have to start calling you the "Animal Editor".

Monika, you might want to see this film before you get to class tonight  ;D

Other items of note to Paradise sliders...

The Paradise Valley road was plowed to blacktop at least one machine wide but not open.  Reflection Lakes road (Stevens Canyon) appeared totally cleared at the west end but barricaded... probably all work in preparation for the published May 1 opening of Stevens Canyon.

Sunday's snowpack: The prior week's deposition had consolidated and refrozen into a 4 to 6 inch slab that was boot walkable in some areas; stronger on west and south aspects, weaker on east and north. On top of that crust was a light (cold, dry and unbonded) dusting (at the parking lot) to 2 inches of fresh depending on aspect and elevation.  This combination of crust/slab covered by lighter, drier fine fresh was supporting light skiers and heavy skiers on fat skis and light feet.  Heavy skiers on narrower skis were getting trapped occasionally especially if skiing agressively.  Below the crust/slab was about a foot of unconsolidated... also worthy of consideration as the snowpack warms.

All this, of course has been covered by another 10 to 12 inches since Sunday, according to the telemetry.
C'mon snow  ;D

My photos aren't quite as entertaining as Jerry's video, but you can see more skiing shots HERE.  ;D  8)

Monika, you might want to see this film before you get to class tonight  ;D
;D

I'm not at work today to use a PC and have only a Mac at home so unfortunately I'll have to wait.

thank you everyone for another fun trip.  Those s. facing slopes were sure nice.

In loving memory of Susan Mcknight my backcountry ski partner and adopted mom:  

There was the joke that Susan would need to get "aired out".  She was so full of energy and backcountry skiing was her thing.  So that was my job out skiing with her, those that knew her understand.
Sometimes I'm the same way.   And yes, I think I got sufficiently "aired out" on Sunday.  

Jerry, your sense of humor is excellent!  Nice editing and camera work on the video.

Next time, instead of more cow bell, I'm calling for more Jerry segments.  I'll work on cleaning out my "goo pocket" so I can carry the camera more without turning it into a sticky carbo-loaded mess.

Mad_Dog, thanks for the kind words of reconciliation regarding "coming in hot".  Sometimes my learning curve seems as steep and long as Liberty Ridge.

Ron, I checked into the radio compatability situation and learned that there are two types, FRS, which I believe you have and GMRS which is what I have.  They differ in that all channels above 7 use different frequencies.  BUT both share the same frequencies for channels 1 through 7.  This explains why I couldn't pick you up on 12,34.

A possible solution for our communication problem would be to use channel 01,23... or any other combination on channels 1-7.  Just a suggestion for those times when you're with people who have GMRS radios.  Or, I suppose I could get an FRS radio too.

Very Cool Vid!

Reply to this TR

april-10-2005-paradise
JibberD
2005-04-10 15:57:00