Home > Trip Reports > Nov 30, 2012, Cascade Pass

Nov 30, 2012, Cascade Pass

11/30/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Qben on 12/2/12 1:08am
Trip to Cascade Pass on the 30th was great!  This was my first outing on my new (to me) AT setup.  The trip up was very enjoyable for my first time on skins.  The road is closed (gated) 2 miles from the trail head, but I was able to put the skis on after only a mile of walking. Not having skied in 18 years or so, this was probably not the best trip choice since it was endless switchbacks.  I am not at all skilled enough to make really sharp, slow speed turns so I got a lot of practice getting back on my feet. 
Q

Glad someone is getting out on Hwy 20. Could you elaborate on which route you took up and down? Did you go up the primary drainage from the trail head parking lot or did you take the trail? How was the coverage? Thanks for the info!

Matt

Having never been to Cascade Pass before and with visibility being poor, I stayed on the trail the whole way.  Coverage was good all the way from mile marker 22 (1 mile from TH), enough to ski the road.  At the actual trail head, it was about a foot I'd guess and got gradually deeper with elevation.  At the pass I could tell depth by the trail markers which only showed about 2 inches above the snow.  In hindsight, the drainage you're talking about would have been much more direct and certainly a more fun trip back down, but also more avalanche prone and I am pretty timid when out by myself.
Q

Reply to this TR

nov-30-2012-cascade-pass
Qben
2012-12-02 09:08:30