Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2005, Muir snowfield

April 10, 2005, Muir snowfield

4/10/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 4/10/05 7:13am
Jeff, picked me up at 7 and offered to drive.Hmm, Maybe with the higher gas prices this triggered a urge in him for profit taking.We met Dorothea at the usual spot and headed up with dreams of doing the Paradise Glacier.Parking lot was not so crowded .We did run into our friends RON ,Jeanette ,JW and a new friend Monica.
Monica had these big fat dynastars and what looked like  a full body brace. Hmm this was not a good sign for the start of national "Hey Watch this "  Week.
We started up Panpoint under a hot sun on a crusty supportable base. MR. Lenticular was ahangin and this was going to be a race before either the weather set in or the snow softened too much. 2 to 3" of powder all up the east side of the Muir snowfield.We made it to moon rocks by coming in from the east to have a good lock at the Paradise. The upper paradise had lots of wind sculpture but plenty of coverage.Lenticular was dropping so we opted for the good snow on the muir and a ski down through Goldengates.I managed to do my part for "Hey yall watch this " week with a little air off the Pebble creek roll.This is a serious holiday and more than a few Darwin Awards are earned during this week. Lucky for us there was a solo leading the way of pan towards G gate so we didn't have to do much in the way of route finding.
Thank you Mr Solo Tele. Excellent skiing from pan point down and through the nice slope at Gates.Perhaps warmed dust on crust. All south facing quite stable.         Dorothea had a very strong day, at first I thought it was the new skis  but there seems to be a little dark line growing over her upper lip. There have been rumors of steroid use by Austrians.
Spitting snow/rain when we left.
By the way the it appears from up high that the Steven's canyon and Paradise road are all plowed.

Robie

Reply to this TR

april-10-2005-muir-snowfield
Robie
2005-04-10 14:13:57