Home > Forum > BC skiing beyond age 60

BC skiing beyond age 60

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
10 Apr 2005 13:26 - 03 Apr 2007 05:47 #171516 by Larry_R
BC skiing beyond age 60 was created by Larry_R
:-[

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2005 14:21 #171517 by sag
Replied by sag on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
keep it fun!!

More
11 Apr 2005 02:44 #171518 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
I think sag may have "broke the code".<br>I might add "keep doing it" (not that I have any reason what so ever for knowing, no reason at all, none, nada). ;)

More
11 Apr 2005 12:52 #171522 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
Larry, I'm only 58 but Jill is 60 and I'll probably be lonely for awhile if she reads this. Here's the list of secrets for BC skiing over 60:<br><br>1. Drink good beer to cleanse the impurities from your system.<br>2. Stay in shape but don't be obsessive. A slight stomach validates the use of #1.<br>3. Have a partner/buddy who enjoys the same activity and at the same level. Trying to catch a speed demon gets old and is lonely.<br>4. Most mountains in our region don't move, so if you're moving you'll eventually reach your ski line and it doesn't have to be the summit.<br>5. Ski with younger folks who take pride in breaking trail and will help carry some of your weight. Be careful not to ski too much better than them. They'll think you just had a lucky run.<br>6. Ride a lift,snowmobile, snowcat or helicopter when possible to reach a BC location.It really does cut down on cycle times.<br>7. Finally, remember that you will probably outlive your critics and do whatever you want. They'll think you're crazy or senile.<br><br>Zap<br>

More
11 Apr 2005 13:24 #171523 by bcskibdy
Replied by bcskibdy on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
Do I sense a birthday approaching? <br>I started Tele lessons post-60 and 'real' bc skiing about a yr ago. Not a pretty sight!! But I've had the $$ and time (I can't say leisure) to attend a few clinics--Wy'East on the Palmer (with a million pre/post pubescent boarders and racers at their own clinics). Now I'm comfortable with steeps and (slowly) getting the hang of snow more than 6" deep.<br><br>Fun is the operative word. 8)<br><br>I only know younger guys to ski with, but that will hopefully change. ???<br><br>I think the main thing is a strong "W.T.F." attitude. It's gotten me into some "interesting" spots, but then it helps get me out too. &gt;:(<br><br>The beer is covered in #1. ;D<br><br>Oh, yeah. Start asking for senior discounts. I paid full price for stuff for a couple years before I caught on that senior was a number, not an attitude. ;)<br><br>bill<br><br><br>

More
11 Apr 2005 15:48 #171525 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
I haven't quite reached the 6th decade yet, but, I''m practicing, and hanging around with some pretty cool "seniors".<br><br>Be mature with an immature attitude sometimes.<br><br>Perfect the "outfumble" move in the parking lot so the younger, faster, stronger trailbreaks will get tired of waiting around and put in a really great uptrack.<br><br>Never, never, ever make those terrible "old man" or "old woman" grunting noises when bending over or sitting down ;D<br><br>Get to know your area, some of the best snow can be found close to the car.<br><br>The golden rule, don't pass up good snow trying to find better. ;D

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 Apr 2005 05:18 #171534 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
I have no empirical knowledge to share on this topic, but Mad Dog's comments reminded me of an important point - there's a difference between being "child-like" and "childish." Child-like is good. Knowing that has seemed to help me so far with aging.

More
16 Apr 2005 11:05 #171560 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60

Child-like is good. Knowing that has seemed to help me so far with aging.

<br><br>Yep that has also helped me stay young at heart too. Ya just have to know when you can get away with it, and when you have to act like a grown-up. ;D<br>

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
16 Apr 2005 20:55 #171569 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: BC skiing beyond age 60
Ski as to avoid injuries, compensate for those you can't avoid, and its Ibuprofin for the rest.