Home > Trip Reports > November 29, 2012, White Chuck Mountain

November 29, 2012, White Chuck Mountain

11/29/12
Posted by Troy on 11/29/12 12:10pm
Fun time at White Chuck today.  The upper mountain looked real mean but I found some fun terrain nearby.  The southwest aspect of the mountain appeared to be getting top loading today.  Strong winds and heavy snow might make the SW side a good place to avoid for a while.

I was able to drive my all wheel drive car to within about a mile of the intersection of Forest Service Road 2435 and 020.  I'll post details and photos later but wanted to get out a quick report in case anyone is making weekend plans.

Cheers.
Timely and to the point.  Thanks!

Going through the photos makes me want to head back today.  Here's all the photos with description:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111955726492601080503/WhiteChuck_20121129?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-__avr69jJ4AE#

A few photos are attached.

After looking at maps and Google Earth I was hoping to ski to what looks like a col between the smaller NW peak and the summit at 6989 elevation on the SW aspect, opposite side of the mountain from the glacier.  However the weather, stability concerns, and lack of snow made it an easy call to divert to the NW.

Looking forward to returning to White Chuck.  A variety of terrain from super mellow to death on a stick.  Nice tree skiing and some open bowls.  The cliff bands surprised me so keep an eye open.

Tricky thing about this spot is access.  If much more snow falls my car won't be able to get anywhere close.

Enjoy winter's return!

Cheers.

cool. you made it to White Chuck. We were there a couple of months ago... sorta by accident--of the Plan C variety--but were nonetheless impressed.
Skied that col.  Fun run but looong approach once the road's snowed in!

I think the NE Peak you mention maybe NW of White Chuck proper?

Super cool and very timely!  I wouldn't have thought the road would be drivable still.  Rat Trap pass should be much more accessible in the winters now, so I hope to get out and explore from that side sometime.

Any more tidbits on snowpack?  I'm wondering about the crust and how deep and supportable it is (boots vs skis).

Cheers

author=cumulus link=topic=26286.msg110901#msg110901 date=1354306612">
cool. you made it to White Chuck. We were there a couple of months ago... sorta by accident--of the Plan C variety--but were nonetheless impressed.
Skied that col.  Fun run but looong approach once the road's snowed in

Great work on your WC ski!  Fun to see your post.  Missed it before.  Looked like you had more snow than me.

author=cumulus link=topic=26286.msg110901#msg110901 date=1354306612">
I think the NE Peak you mention maybe NW of White Chuck proper?

Yep.  Thanks for the correction.  My picture looking up at the col shows the NW Peak on climber's left.

author=trees4me link=topic=26286.msg110914#msg110914 date=1354312043]
Any more tidbits on snowpack?  I'm wondering about the crust and how deep and supportable it is (boots vs skis).

I didn't notice any crust except directly under trees.  I was on skis the whole time except for a few course corrections near the car where I post holed just a foot or two down to the dirt.

The snow was mostly very heavy, turning to slop lower down.  However, it was snowing like crazy and quickly getting lighter near the ridge.

Reply to this TR

november-29-2012-white-chuck-mountain
Troy
2012-11-29 20:10:58