Home > Trip Reports > April 8, 2005, Guye Peak semi-circumnavigation

April 8, 2005, Guye Peak semi-circumnavigation

4/8/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skip on 4/9/05 4:11am
It began with the best of intentions.  In retrospect, however, climbing the south side of Snoqualmie on a sunny afternoon after a couple weeks' worth of snow seems an ill-fated proposition.  To make matters more certain, we didn't leave town until after 11:00.  Nonetheless, Kam, Baldwin and I made the best of an otherwise beautiful afternoon touring Commonwealth Basin.  

We were able to ski from the car; all aspects we encountered still had complete coverage.  By mid-afternoon, about the time we made treeline, the top foot or so was saturated on exposed south faces and easily moved with the weight of a skier.  As such we opted not to extend our day beyond the saddle between Guye and Snoqualmie.

The ski down was of the nature found fun by only the most fringe of ski personalities: the year-round skier.
The ski down was of the nature found fun by only the most fringe of ski personalities: the year-round skier.

Or the year-round skier on modified water skis with tele bindings?

We (Hayes, Dalius, Ryan, and I) were in Commonwealth also today.  Couldn't really decide where to go and ended up heading toward Red Mountain.  We turned around at 5000 feet up a rib at 1pm because the snow we found was a firm supporting crust.  We didn't think the descent down the west face would be worth the work to get there.  The descent down from our high point was interesting to say the least.  A few fun turns were had in softer patches of snow here and there and I think each of us had at least one intimate encounter with a tree.  Sounds like y'all had a similar experience.  I think we saw your tracks on our way out.  

This was my first trip into Commonwealth Basin, so I'm chalking this one up to a scouting mission...for next winter I hope...not going back this winter.

Eric

well, at least you got a picture of a really cute dog (how long did you tempt him with that candy bar?? poor charlie...).  and i have to say that skip looks pretty dang cool flying off that log too.  not too bad of a day then, i suppose?
;D

Or the year-round skier on modified water skis with tele bindings?

the key word here is: skis  ;D

...or then again, "half a binding, half a brain" ;)

Reply to this TR

april-8-2005-guye-peak-semi-circumnavigation
skip
2005-04-09 11:11:19