Home > Trip Reports > Nov 24, 25, ONP Hurricane

Nov 24, 25, ONP Hurricane

11/24/12
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 11/24/12 9:41am
Snow conditons are mixed to say the least. ice, breakable crust, wind blown, mashed potatoes, frozen granular etc.

I took a beating on shaded upper elevations Sat. thanks to the breakable crust. I think I fell more than I normally fall in an entire season today.  Fortunately there is frozen granular beneath the crust so I am still in tact. The sun warmed and softened up the gunk enough for some satisfying turns later in the day. I also managed to set off several huge rollies that could have knocked me over. And, I managed a couple of summersaults to boot.  Just when you think you are at the top of your game conditions like this make you humble.

Still a beautiful day to be out there!
author=runcle link=topic=26204.msg110626#msg110626 date=1353807663]
Just when you think you are at the top of your game conditions like this make you humble.

;D

Sounds great!  And thanks for the beta.  I've been curious to know what's going on up there. 

I was at Hurricane with my dad and brother Saturday, the weather was FABLOUS!!!

We found similar conditions on Sunday.

Since it was Jan's first day back on skis since her "oopsy" in April, we planned a low angle tour out to Hurricane Hill and back. As we approached the hill, we spied a set of tracks on the SE face. They looks suspiciously like those made by a local free heeler  ;)

By the time we got to the top of that  southeast facing slope the sun had worked it's magic and we enjoyed almost spring like snow conditions on the descent. It was a good confidence builder for Jan.

The views were great and we encountered many people out enjoying the sunny day.

It was evident that the cold clear nights had caused a layer of surface hoar to start developing over the rain crust from the warm front late last week. Something to keep in mind as this gets buried under the new snow that will be falling over the next few days...........

Here are a couple pictures from our day:

1. The Bailey Range and Olympus
  2. Jan making some turns on Hurricane Hill

Gary

Reply to this TR

nov-24-25-onp-hurricane
runcle
2012-11-24 17:41:03