Home > Trip Reports > April 6, 7, 2005, Sasse Ridge

April 6, 7, 2005, Sasse Ridge

4/6/07
Posted by Larry_R on 4/7/05 5:52pm
Sasse Ridge this week:
On Wednesday could ski from the parking lot to the campsite at 3800 feet, but going out the next day the road was largely melted out below 2800 feet, and very thin to ~3000 feet.  On Thursday got up to 5800'; I measured 27 inches there of quite uniform large grained snow. Spring slush really. A number of point source slides visible on the west face of Skookum Peak and the west face of the talus slope on Sasse Mtn. too. On the way down I was finally able to 'ski' the frontside for the first time this season, and surprised myself by actually being able to make a turn or two in the deep slush. There was no significant freeze the night before, so you can imagine.  I did see some nice tracks down one of the ribs on the frontside ending at  the Snotel site, along with tracks from a few snomos who seem not to care for the voluntary closure idea. Sure hope the skiers did not have a first hand sample of 'user group confict'.

Views across to the Teanaway looked encouraging!  So maybe spring skiing there won't be a washout after all.

:)
Larry  

Reply to this TR

april-6-7-2005-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2005-04-08 00:52:44