Home > Trip Reports > Nov 22 Olympics FS Road 3068

Nov 22 Olympics FS Road 3068

11/15/12
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 11/22/12 5:52am
Itch'n for some touring I coaxed my wife out for a tour up the Forest Service 3068 this morning.  With the looming uncetainlty of ONP opening the Ridge road we figured we'd better take advantage of the weather window if I was going to "earn" my 24 straight month of turns.

This spur off the 3040 pararells Muller Ridge and is high enough to provide plenty of snow above 3000 for early and late season touring and is a good alternative to depression when the Ridge Rd is closed. 
Nice...FS Road love!

Way to go, for twenty-fo'!  Is that you in the second photo, Doug?    And where is FS 3068?

"Is that you in the second photo, Doug?"

Yes indeededootali that is yours truly making the most out of the cut bank on the road.

Mack:

The FS rd. 3068 is a spur off of the FS rd. 3040 that heads east along Muller Ridge. From Port Angeles it is probably a 20 mile drive. The 3040 (also known as the East Twin used to be a FS through access dirt road from hwy 112 to hwy 101 over Muller Ridge allowing access to the Kloshe Nanitch lookout. From the north (which was my approach) the upper portion of the road washed out. (I think in 2006) Remember the Nisqually boulder field and the Kautz creek culvert replacements at Rainier? That same storm destroyed the upper portion of the 3040 and it has now been officially "decommissioned" I don't know for sure if the road is in tact from the south side near the FS Snyder work station east of the Soleduck. There is a trail up to Muller from Snyder that would allow access to the Muller Ridge proper which affords some great views of the Strait, Lake Crescent and the interior of the Olympics!

Reply to this TR

nov-22-olympics-fs-road-3068
runcle
2012-11-22 13:52:10