Home > Trip Reports > November 20, 2012, Lower Alpental

November 20, 2012, Lower Alpental

11/20/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by GregLange on 11/21/12 4:43am
Dawn Patrol was in full swing today. I desired snow but not crowds or out-of-pocket expenses beyond coffee and gas. Weather data showed recent and new snow at Alpental. Arrived 6:40 AM, and headed up. The lower portion just above the lodge still contains MANY open-water sites. However, they are all pretty crossable on the descent, if you pick your spots.

Didn't have alot of time, so knew that getting to the top was not an option. However, DID tour up in the woods below and between Snake Dance and Felsen. Lots of good uphill lines in those woods. Had the place all to myself; even the area employees didn't start making noise until after 8 AM. Made a few creek crossings just below the cliff bands, just for sport, and emerged about halfway up/down Lower Nash.

Skiing was NOT epic; more like manky late spring stuff. (My new term is "Half-frozen school paste"...). But, turns were had, in a mix of survival and somewhat balanced fashions. Back to the car by 8:40 to drive back to town in the numerous deluges falling from the sky. No trouble with holiday traffic. Good fun, at any rate...
Is this actually today as in Wednesday the 21st???  :)

Wondering what Snoqualmie (aka Summit West) looked like?? Anyone up there.....Silas????

I fractured a rib or two two weeks ago and dont know that I could do an Alpy early season tour.....way too much unpredictability.

Looking for something smoother to ride........which I know might be dumb thing to say in the early season. LOL.

Griff - Thanks for the clarification. Been getting my dates off by one day for a week now...

Yes, Nov. 21, Wednesday. I would not recommend this tour for anyone nursing a cracked rib, unless you are much more deft on your skis than I was. ;-}

Reply to this TR

november-20-2012-lower-alpental
GregLange
2012-11-21 12:43:31