Home > Trip Reports > April 6, 2005, Little Alaska,N. Lk. Tahoe

April 6, 2005, Little Alaska,N. Lk. Tahoe

4/6/05
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 4/6/05 8:25am
Another blue sky day and temperatures were already in the 40's at the base of Alpine Meadows ski area.  We decided to tour even though the snow was still unconsolidated.  We headed towards Ward Peak which is a high point at 8637' at Alpine.  We began the High Traverse towards Twin Peaks which follows the ridgeline from Ward Peak.  The winds were starting to increase by 10am and the next storm system was heading towards the Sierra Crest.  The ridgeline has some enormous cornices and they are evidence of the 100 mph winds that batter the Crest during many storms.  The views along the ridge are fantastic - Lake Tahoe just below us and Desolation Wilderness in the distance.  So much touring terrain.  The ridge can be traversed, skinned or bootpacked. We traveled to Grouse Rock where we had lunch and baked in the sun.  Below us in the distance we could see the Sherwood lift servicing the backside of Alpine Meadows.  In front of us was Little Alaska which is an area of chutes,spines, "sick lines" and a few rational descents.The area has been a favorite of numerous film producers.  We opted for the rational descent.  The snow was heavy and unconsolidated but for some reason Jill seemed to enjoy it - go figure. We bobbed and weaved through the trees and bowls and finally made our way to the Sherwood chair.  We originally thought about skiing the slot between the Twin Peaks but the conditions were too soft and you need an earlier start to travel the distance.  Twin Peaks is on the list.  Another powder storm expected Thursday and Friday :)  Zap & Jill
Well, Zap, sounds like you had another great day in Tahoe.  I was eyeing Twin Peaks when I skiied Alpine the day after you and I skiied at Sugar Bowl.  Did you access that area from the top of the lifts (Summit Chair I think) or from the road access at the base of Sherwood?  We did a hike from Summit Chair out that direction but descedned from the ridge a few hundred yards outside the ski area boundary.  You are right - huge cornices up there.  Great terrain - both "rational" and "sick lines" abound.  Are you still planning on heading south toward Mammoth, Tioga Pass, etc...?

Eric

Eric, We accesed via the Summit 6 pack lift.  We purchased a Spring Pass for $99 a week ago and it has already paid for itself. Alpine will probably operate until Memorial Day.  Alpine Meadows has a very open backcontry access policy and an enormous amount of terrain available from the ski area. We can also stay in the camper in the area parking lot. The valley access near the Sherwood chair is not normally available when the Sherwood chair is operational.  

We will eventually head south towards Mammoth and Bishop but the constant powder storms near Tahoe plus the enormous number of backcontry tours available have delayed our departure. Zap

Reply to this TR

april-6-2005-little-alaska-n-lk-tahoe
Zap
2005-04-06 15:25:16