Home > Trip Reports > Nov 11, 2012, Goat Mt

Nov 11, 2012, Goat Mt

11/11/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Vince Lamphier on 11/20/12 5:30am
 Well this report is a little late, but better late than never. Sunday the 11th was my friend Serafino's birthday so we decided to take a tour up Goat to celebrate. We headed for the glacier on the north east side. We found out real quick that it was very icy. All the streams coming out the hills were frozen solid and there was some great ice climbing opportunities all over the place. The first 4-500' of the climb starts with a scramble up through the trees. After that we came out onto a field of heather that led us to the rock field and then onto the glacier where we put on our crampons. It's a fairly mellow climb up to the saddle between the north and south peaks of Goat. We noticed the light dusting of new snow that had been received up there began to get a little deeper as we climbed and as we approached the top of the glacier there was at least 4'' of nice fluffy, as soon as we thought we were going to have a great ride and do a few laps up at the top where the nice snow was, the thick clouds moved in and started dumping snow. By the time we switched over to descend, the visibility was a complete whiteout. I took careful mental notes on the way up, so we were able to maneuver down the slope for about 500' until the visibility came back. For a awhile it was complete vertigo. I didn't notice any crevasses, just some large moats on the margins. The ride out was fairly nice with some great areas of powder and a few areas of blue ice. All in all a great day and birthday for Serafino.More Pics

Great shots, as always, Vince!  I'm looking forward to seeing the TR from this Sunday.  Winter is here!

Awesome! Was planning on doing the same trip before all the snow came. Where did you guys park? Did you go straight up Swamp creek or to the north of it? How was the access to the lines on East Goat?

wow, awsome. really raising the stoke here, going through all the trs.

Vince, I really like your pictures, the first one in particular, thanks for the report.

author=jtack link=topic=26155.msg110510#msg110510 date=1353534413]
Vince, I really like your pictures, the first one in particular, thanks for the report.
Thanks Jaimie. If your ever over in the mt baker neighborhood, send me a message and I'll join you for a tour

I will, thanks for the offer. Hope you had a good Turkey day, I was up in the Methow, and it snowed 4 inches of heavy fluff last night, but was melting fast this morning.  Mission will be open today.

Hey Vince - beautiful photo.  I sent you a PM.

Reply to this TR

nov-11-2012-goat-mt
Vince Lamphier
2012-11-20 13:30:22