Home > Trip Reports > November 19, 2012, Mission Peak

November 19, 2012, Mission Peak

11/19/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 11/20/12 5:24am
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I decided to take a quick tour above Clara lake, and see how the snow was holding up with this rain, and warm temperatures.  It was very windy, a check of the telemetry when I got home had the wind averaging. 70+ with gusts above 100, on top of the mountain.  It was raining sideways, and my biggest worry was a tree blowing down.  In the parking lot there was about 6 inches of saturated snow, and it gradually increased to around 10 by the time I made Clara lake (~5500) and still raining.  It was just starting to be snow at 6500 and I had really seen more than I wanted to, by then, the only why I could have been wetter, was to be bigger.   There was enough snow to ski (average 15" or 16"), but the viz, and weather conspired to break my will and I retreated.  As everyone in the PNW loves to say, we are building a good base!
Ugh that second picture looks more like a raging river than the parking lot.  Good job checking the conditions.  Nice turns too!

Did you mean Nov 16?

So the word is that Mission Ridge will be opening on Friday and I thought it might be an opportunity to check the area out considering the skiing possibilities for those who reside there... as well as what it is like to live in and around Wenatchee.

Do you guys think it's worth it this weekend?  Or shall I head for Baker or other possibilities?

Dan

It was Nov 19, thanks, 

Dan, I think it's a little early to tell, but  don't think its going to be all that great, if it cools down and snows it will be OK,...... skiing, but nothing to write home about.  Keep an eye on the telemetry.

Reply to this TR

november-19-2012-mission-peak
jtack
2012-11-20 13:24:43