Home > Trip Reports > November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point

November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point

11/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by knitvt on 11/15/12 2:53pm
Atomic and I planned to head up to Artist Point looking to enjoy a day in the sun.  We weren€™t expecting the snow cover to be particularly conducive to making good turns, but figured we€™d enjoy touring around during the break in the weather.  However, the skiing was actually pretty great, given how much snow had fallen!  We were very pleasantly surprised.  It was a beautiful day to be outside, we made some nice turns, and I got my first TAY. 

Coverage is still pretty thin in the general vicinity, but good enough that when ascending you can bypass the switchbacks on the Artist Point road without difficulty.  Though the forecast predicted ~50% cloud cover, clouds were few and far between, and didn€™t really start to roll in until the afternoon.

Surface hoar was widespread, and was still evident later in the day during our descent, despite the day€™s sun.  We considered concerns for skiing up there later this month assuming that the snow forecasted to start tomorrow buries the layer intact.

We did not encounter any snow stability issues on the way up to Artist Point.  Some of the steeper slopes above the road had loosed what little snow they had held, but it mostly just made for some neat looking rollers.

From Artist Point, we did happen to witness a slide on Shuksan.

Descending was infinitely better than we had expected.  Coverage, especially up near Artist Point, was somehow good enough that I don€™t think either of us hit any rocks.  Perhaps out of luck?  Even so, up towards the top there was a good eight inches of relatively light powder over at least some base layer that provided for some pleasantly cushioned turns.  Much better than what we found at Rainier below Pan Point late last month.  We were comfortable enough with the coverage to make proper turns about halfway down towards Heather Meadows, after which the preponderance of rocks made the road a better route of descent.

These were probably the nicest turns that I have made in a long while€¦ which may mostly speak to having been out in less-than-ideal conditions recently.  That being said, the snow was really rather nice considering what we had expected. 
beautiful pictures.  Thanks for the beta.  so many decisions to be made for where to go after Thanksgiving day. :)

Awesome! Congrats on TAY! I got mine there on October 26, hardly any visibility and sharkies lurking under the fresh snow. Good on ya!

Reply to this TR

november-15-2012-mt-baker-artist-point
knitvt
2012-11-15 22:53:26