telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 06:46 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  November 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point  (Read 1679 times)
knitvt

November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point
« on: 11/15/12, 10:53 PM »

Atomic and I planned to head up to Artist Point looking to enjoy a day in the sun.  We weren’t expecting the snow cover to be particularly conducive to making good turns, but figured we’d enjoy touring around during the break in the weather.  However, the skiing was actually pretty great, given how much snow had fallen!  We were very pleasantly surprised.  It was a beautiful day to be outside, we made some nice turns, and I got my first TAY. 

Coverage is still pretty thin in the general vicinity, but good enough that when ascending you can bypass the switchbacks on the Artist Point road without difficulty.  Though the forecast predicted ~50% cloud cover, clouds were few and far between, and didn’t really start to roll in until the afternoon.

Surface hoar was widespread, and was still evident later in the day during our descent, despite the day’s sun.  We considered concerns for skiing up there later this month assuming that the snow forecasted to start tomorrow buries the layer intact.

We did not encounter any snow stability issues on the way up to Artist Point.  Some of the steeper slopes above the road had loosed what little snow they had held, but it mostly just made for some neat looking rollers.

From Artist Point, we did happen to witness a slide on Shuksan.

Descending was infinitely better than we had expected.  Coverage, especially up near Artist Point, was somehow good enough that I don’t think either of us hit any rocks.  Perhaps out of luck?  Even so, up towards the top there was a good eight inches of relatively light powder over at least some base layer that provided for some pleasantly cushioned turns.  Much better than what we found at Rainier below Pan Point late last month.  We were comfortable enough with the coverage to make proper turns about halfway down towards Heather Meadows, after which the preponderance of rocks made the road a better route of descent.

These were probably the nicest turns that I have made in a long while… which may mostly speak to having been out in less-than-ideal conditions recently.  That being said, the snow was really rather nice considering what we had expected. 
danpeck

Re: November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/12, 09:21 AM »

beautiful pictures.  Thanks for the beta.  so many decisions to be made for where to go after Thanksgiving day. Smiley
ShailCaesar!
5Member

Re: November 15, 2012, Mt. Baker, Artist Point
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/12, 01:22 PM »

Awesome! Congrats on TAY! I got mine there on October 26, hardly any visibility and sharkies lurking under the fresh snow. Good on ya!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.