Home > Trip Reports > 11/15/12 FS Rd #9070

11/15/12 FS Rd #9070

11/15/12
Posted by Snoqualmonix on 11/15/12 5:28am
First day back on snow since the first storm blasts a few weeks ago that had already melted out.  Went up thinking we might just be looking around, but we were happy to find that FS road skiing conditions are IN!

Car tracks stopped at the switchback parking for Twin Lakes Trail so we did too to preserve the 'untracked' snow.  Aside from a ski-length section of bare rocks at the rock-blast switchback, it was solid 4-6" coverage all the way to the top of Windy Acres.  Conditions were icy and firm, but we were still able to get JUST enough purchase for kick-and-glide with very little herringbone needed.

At the top we enjoyed views of the cloud ceiling just to the west over Bandera, and zipped-up tight to stay warm from the strong east wind (that will hopefully maintain its cold presence the next few days of 4000' freezing level).

The 1200' descent was a skinny-skiers paradise racing down the icy trails that bring the Cold Creek Valley up to meet you--a ski comparable to the last chapter of 'A Movable Feast'.

Another day in paradise, glad to know I don't have to spend 6 hours in the car to get on snow for the day at Rainier tomorrow.

Anyone interested in a long FS road ski adventure tomorrow is welcome to join our merry band.
"Finally towards spring there was the great glacier run, smooth and straight, forever straight if our legs could hold it, our ankles locked, we were running so low, leaning into the speed, dropping forever and forever in the silent hiss of the deep powder.  It was better than flying or anything else, and we built the ability to do it and to have it with the long climbs carrying the heavy rucksacks.  We could not buy the trip up nor take a ticket to the top.  It was the end we worked for all winter, and all the winter built to make it possible."
(Ernest Hemingway,  A Movable Feast)

Hard to imagine Hemingway and his wife as back-country skiing in the Alps in the 1920's, but they did!

If I didn't know better, I would say this is a trip report....  ;)

Going up now if any One wants in 512 57767 nine nine

Didn't see anyone else besides our crew yesterday for another run from Twin Lake TH to the top of Windy Acres--detoured over and across barely covered rocks for a look at the sad ol' stone lean-to. 

East winds dropped some flurries at Windy Pass proper and we watched clouds breaking like waves over Radio Mountain and Summit West filling in the low valley....beautiful play of weather systems.

One large truck was breaking trail to the top on our way down, but his single track made for an even faster 'groomed' ribbon of snow for the long descent into the fog.  If two more vehicles punch to the top there will be more exposed dirt and rock.

Jamie brought the previous night's beef borguignon for our dinner after the tour, so I had to visit the secret champagne cache near Windy to provide adequate libation.

"Now they would have the run home together"
~Cross-Country Snow
E. Hemingway

Reply to this TR

11-15-12-fs-rd-9070
Snoqualmonix
2012-11-15 13:28:52