Home > Forum > Hiking/skining turns at Alpy?

Hiking/skining turns at Alpy?

• korup
  • [korup]
More
04 Apr 2005 06:21 - 04 Apr 2005 07:59 #171458 by korup
Hiking/skining turns at Alpy? was created by korup
Does anyone know how the mgt at Alpy might feel about folks hiking turns? I am wondering if they are feeling very protective about the snow cover, but would love do get some pre-work runs in....<br><br>If "yea," is anyone up for some dawn patrols this week?<br><br>cheers<br>Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
04 Apr 2005 06:45 #171459 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Hiking/skining turns al Alpy?
We were up there while the patrollers were harvesting their freshiez and they didn't say a word.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
04 Apr 2005 07:12 #171460 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Hiking/skining turns al Alpy?
Just skied Snoqualmie Mt this morning. The best fresh by far was above the top of Alpental. Face shots way up there. That's the ticket!

More
04 Apr 2005 08:00 - 04 Apr 2005 09:25 #171461 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Hiking/skining turns al Alpy?
I assume you mean hiking for turns within the ski area boundary when the lifts are not running? They don't seem to have a problem with it. You may find patrol members and management out skinning with you, in fact. Don't know about doing it while they are in operation - I would think you would want to stay off the beaten track anyway. <br><br>We've only gotten weird looks and warnings under unusual circumstances, ie. heading out Source Lake Trail at 10:00 PM ("You guys know we're closing in a few minutes, don't you?").<br><br>

Just skied Snoqualmie Mt this morning. The best fresh by far was above the top of Alpental. Face shots way up there. That's the ticket!

<br><br>These were North-facing face shots?

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Apr 2005 09:38 #171462 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Hiking/skining turns at Alpy?
They only requested people not hike up there Friday and early Saturday AM prior to opening because they were doing lots of avalanche blasting. I don't think it is much of an issue now.....

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
04 Apr 2005 10:16 #171464 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Hiking/skining turns at Alpy?
Greg-<br><br>We looked at a certain north facing line of general 'Hot Slot' interest. But it was quite loaded and a ski cut at the entrance yielded results that I found less than encouraging about super-loaded sections below.<br><br>But the top thousand of south-facing had &gt;6" of fresh, quite a bit more in places, with no signs of the ubiquitous crust found lower. Will it last through sun breaks? Dunno. I imagine it'll still be pretty good until the warm front hits with the next storm.