Home > Trip Reports > 11-11-12, Mt. Rainier, Muir vertigo

11-11-12, Mt. Rainier, Muir vertigo

11/11/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 11/12/12 1:58am
*I would recommend waiting until there is a good base at paradise before heading up to Rainier.  There is enough snow now on the entire trail to make navigating by foot interesting and asking for a sprained ankle.  There is not enough snow to tour up they whole way yet though.  Hopefully that will change with the current weather system.*

I've been antsy to get out after missing the powder window in October and Matt was excited enough about skiing his new Seth's to deal with no visibility.  We went for a later start expecting the Longmire gate to be locked, I was right, still closed when we arrived.  I used the ever so nice heated bathroom, which must have been a signal to the ranger that it was time, gate opened as I walked out the door.

There was a decent size group up in the parking lot, almost exclusively skiers/boarders.  The trail had enough new snow on it that there was good traction in hiking boots nearly everywhere, only a few patches of ice.
Ran into another skier on his way down from camping at Muir, he asked if we had a GPS and told us to be ready for vertigo.......nothing like riding in a cloud.
We went up to the regular climbing route and switched into touring mode around 7,200.  Decent snow coverage right down near the pebble creek crossing.

Around 2pm the wind really started picking up out of the west, with gusts strong enough to throw you off balance.  The driving snow forming an ice layer on my cheek was a nice touch.  We went up one of the snow lines toward Anvil Rock (8,900 feet) and pulled off to the east side trying to find big rocks to hide behind for the transition.  It was impossible to get out of it though, nearly had the it steal one of my skins when I lost grip.  My BD poles had frozen up, they collapsed by breaking, whoops.
Walking across the rock/ice back to the snow proved interesting.  The wind was strong enough to knock me over once, thankfully I had a rock to grab and did not go sliding.

I was quite glad to strap into my board, until I remembered that we would be riding like Ray Charles.  Nice wind lips of 10" powder after ice sheets were hiding and just begging to pull your tips down.  Ocassionally I thought I was stopping, then realized that the new snow was sliding away from the ice, I wouldn't want to ride anything steep with that snowpack.  Once we got down a ways though it was quite good bellow 8k, with about 10" of powder on top of the hard ice layer.

We went riders right of the lower glissade areas and managed to stay right on the trail between the rocks all the way to pebble creek.  Kept the snowboard boots and helmet on for the hike out, Matt stayed in his down coat.  It was COLD.  A lot of accumulation while we were out, about 6-8" on parts of the trail.  We debated about riding the asphalt down to the parking lot, but decided it wasn't worth the free edge bevel.

Got to the lot as it was getting dark, still two cars there with no hikers.  The ranger was waiting around, patiently doing an occasional donut in the lot to test traction.  He told us they had stopped plowing hours ago, road out had about 6-8" on it the whole way.  All in all a decent start to month 36.
HOLLLER

Route here: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/106911838

One car still in the parking lot this a.m., with 18 inches of new in the last 24 hr; lot plowed, line of official vehicles at the Visitor Center; road will not open today: is some one/group still on the mountain?

And here's the rest of the story from the Tacoma News Tribune, quote:

Two snowboarders remain stranded on Mount Rainier after spending the night in a snowstorm.

Search and rescue crews are trying to reach the two men, who are in their early 20s. Officials said the men have been able to contact searchers with a cell phone and are stuck between around 7,500 feet between Paradise and Camp Muir.

It’s unclear what kind of supplies the snowboarders have.

A storm continues to rage on the mountain, which is under a winter advisory from the National Weather Service.

Forecasters said 8 to 15 inches of snow fell since noon Sunday and up to another 4 inches are expected today. Temperatures dipped below 20 degrees Sunday night and winds gusts more than 60 mph.

The gate from Longmire to Paradise will not open today

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2012/11/12/two-snowboarders-stuck-in-storm-on-mount-rainier/#storylink=cpy

We saw alot of people taking foot track towards Paradise, luckily ND and I recognized enough things to hop back over to the pebble creek trail and get up to Muir, Noone followed us. Im pretty sure we saw these guys yesterday, hopefully they make it out alright.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/11/king5-two-snowboarders-stranded-on-mount-rainier/

I spoke to a co-worker who does search and rescue in King County, from what he heard they have a gps location based on their cell phone, but the weather is still coming in strong and they were waiting for a break in the snow.
I tried calling MRNP office for a total of 15 minutes now to tell them where we saw foot traffic, no one picks up.

author=ND link=topic=26048.msg110049#msg110049 date=1352748617]
I tried calling MRNP office for a total of 15 minutes now to tell them where we saw foot traffic, no one picks up.

ND,

Try again.  (360)569-2211 ext 6009 for the Rainier Climbing Rangers.

author=Plinko link=topic=26048.msg110054#msg110054 date=1352750396]
ND,

Try again.  (360)569-2211 ext 6009 for the Rainier Climbing Rangers.

Thanks for the extension, left them a message.

UPDATED: 11:10 a.m. | LONGMIRE — Rescue crews are searching for two snowboarders who were stranded on Mount Rainier overnight in heavy snow.

The men, ages 20 and 21, called Sunday afternoon to report they had become lost in the storm while descending from Camp Muir. He says they had winter gear, smart phones and a compass, but no overnight gear,

said Mount Rainier National Park spokesman Kevin Bacher.

Bacher identified them as Derek Tyndall and Thomas Dale. He says the men are cold but not hurt. They took shelter overnight by digging a snow cave.

More than two dozen people are trying to reach the men, who are believed to be at about 7,500-foot elevation near Paradise. The area has gotten about 20 inches of fresh snow.

Olympic Mountain Rescue’s Roger Beckett says 10 members of their advanced team are helping with the rescue. He says members of Tacoma Mountain Rescue are also assisting park rangers.

I hope they get to those guys fast.

Interesting the report mentions a phone call from 7,500 foot level. I didn't have a hint of cell service (ATT) between longmire and Camp Muir. Is there a carrier that works up there?

I am using a Delorme InReach, (Satellite based txt msg capability), which in a case like this, would seem to be mighty handy.

I hope they do also, it must have been a mighty cold night.  If they didn't have so much as a compass I doubt they had a down layer and/or emergency blankets either. 

I have never had service on the paradise side anywhere with AT&T.  I did have full coverage with data on interglacier at Camp Curtis though.  I woke up a few people with sunrise shots at 4:30am this summer :)

author=ND link=topic=26048.msg110049#msg110049 date=1352748617]

The best number to call to report anything (including an emergency in the park) is usually MRNP dispatch at (360) 569-6600.

author=David_Britton link=topic=26048.msg110061#msg110061 date=1352758305]
Interesting the report mentions a phone call from 7,500 foot level. I didn't have a hint of cell service (ATT) between longmire and Camp Muir. Is there a carrier that works up there?

Verizon / Sprint usually has service (their networks are mutually compatible), although it's marginal sometimes. I have Verizon service, but it sometimes says "Extended" in that area, which I assume to be a Sprint tower instead. I can often call or use 3G internet from the patio on the south side of the Paradise visitor center. Some service above Pan Point and all the way to Muir, too. I've used 3G internet several times at Camp Muir to get the latest weather forecast.

Good news. people are in the truck in the parking lot. So hoping for best

Yes it looks like the truck is running and has been moved forward.  The car that was two spots over is still covered in snow though.  Both of these vehicles were in the lot last night when we got down.

Thanks for the other number Amar and also for the webcam/telemetry links on your sight, they're a great resource.

Update sar found them from What i read. Good to hear

ND, this report is a hit!  Thanks for the great report and also I have checked in a few times to your TR for update on the overnight guys.  I'd love to hear a trip report from those benighted. 

Does anyone have an inside line on whether the road might open tomorrow?

The most accurate thing I've found for road updates is the mrnp twitter feed.

So apparently a rescue crew saw them and they walked away? What in the hell?
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/11/rescuers-search-through-blizzard-for-trapped-snowboarders-on-rainier

author=K-Train link=topic=26048.msg110089#msg110089 date=1352782409]
Does anyone have an inside line on whether the road might open tomorrow?

Nothing definite, but I expect it will be closed much the same as today.  Hopefully they can find these guys and open to the public.  White pass or Stevens look like good alternatives.

UPDATE3: The search was called off at 7 p.m. due to nightfall and the poor weather. Efforts will resume at first light, park spokesman Kevin Bacher said.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2012/11/12/two-snowboarders-stuck-in-storm-on-mount-rainier/#storylink=cpy

Guess I was off on my assessment. There was a truck in the lot that was piled with snow as well which I thought was the boarders but it seems there is a car out there still loaded with snow. I know they called the search off last night, but's hope something good happens today.

Just for easy access to the paradise east lot webcam on this thread:
http://www.nps.gov/webcams-mora/east.jpg

[repaired cam url]

Im so confused how these guys were within visual and audible contact with the S&R but managed to keep going down... or away from them????

The truck was in the parking lot when we got there Sunday morning, I'm assuming an overnighter from Muir because the truck had snow on it even Sunday morning. I think their car is a volks golf, which still appears to be in the lot....

It appears we have activity....

http://content.screencast.com/users/Airpoppoff/folders/Jing/media/432b7b80-8981-4c07-8710-f867f84cd7e0/2012-11-13_0820.png

author=airpoppoff link=topic=26048.msg110098#msg110098 date=1352818933]
Im so confused how these guys were within visual and audible contact with the S&R but managed to keep going down... or away from them????

The truck was in the parking lot when we got there Sunday morning, I'm assuming an overnighter from Muir because the truck had snow on it even Sunday morning. I think their car is a volks golf, which still appears to be in the lot....

It appears the two were on the move, down the Paradise Glacier according to TNT:
The teams began searching in the area of McClure Rock at about 7,500 feet, based on landmarks Tyndall and Dale relayed to park officials.

It appeared the men left that location some time Monday and were trying to hike down when they were spotted on Paradise Glacier about 3 p.m., Bacher said.

It took rescuers several hours to circle around due to steep terrain, and they weren’t able to reach the individuals, but they seemed to be in good condition and match the descriptions of the snowboarders, Bacher said.

Forecasters said 8 inches to nearly 2 feet of snow fell in the central Cascades from noon Sunday to about noon Monday. Temperatures dipped below 20 degrees Sunday night, and winds gusted to more than 60 miles per hour.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/11/12/2365208/snowboarders-to-spend-second-night.html#storylink=cpy

Latest update is that they were found alive and well.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Rangers-will-try-again-to-reach-snowboarders-stranded-on-Rainier-179114361.html

I'd like to know where they were found.  Presumably on the Paradise glacier somewhere SE of the snowfield...

It looks like SAR has dug out their car in the parking lot. Very Nice Service.

I like the following quote from the komo news story, "...powder that is chest deep in some places"

--Yeehaw

they appear to be missing their snowboards....

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2012/11/13/rescuers-lead-snowboarders-off-mount-rainier/iim3JXLqvFCrxs7MvxUvkI/story.html

Seems they're off and out! Kick ass

author=airpoppoff link=topic=26048.msg110138#msg110138 date=1352846625]
they appear to be missing their snowboards....

Looks like they had to eat them.  Or use them for firewood? :)

Maybe they were confiscated to keep them from getting into trouble.  Like pulling a seasons pass or something.  "We'll give your boards back when the snow is all gone".

author=Chuck C link=topic=26048.msg110144#msg110144 date=1352856893]
Maybe they were confiscated to keep them from getting into trouble.  Like pulling a seasons pass or something.  "We'll give your boards back when the snow is all gone".

That would be entirely appropriate. :-)

author=Plinko link=topic=26048.msg110140#msg110140 date=1352849856]
Looks like they had to eat them.  Or use them for firewood? :)

If they left them on the mountain, I hope the rangers gave them a ticket for littering.  ;D

Anybody who's tried to navigate in a whiteout knows it could happen to them.  It's a pretty disorienting thing that only patience, practice, and sometimes luck resolves.  I was coming down from Muir and saw 18 people walking up into the clouds on this Sunday and these 2 ended up staying there for a couple nights.  It's as humbling as an opportunity for learning.  If you think you'll find yourself above treeline with weather: practice, practice, practice.  It's not enough to suggest it couldn't happen to you.  It will.  Take clinics, read, learn in low consequence/familiar terrain.  It doesn't come natural and like all skills it needs to be refreshed frequently.  I'm totally impressed these guys stayed warm/healthy in pretty wicked conditions.  They had some pretty level heads, made good survival decisions (911, snow cave, kept moving,..), had great SAR support, and luck was on their side.  I hope we get to hear their survival story as I'm sure we'll all learn from it.

author=Andy Hill link=topic=26048.msg110163#msg110163 date=1352919656]
I'm totally impressed these guys stayed warm/healthy in pretty wicked conditions. 

Me too.  One night I can imagine, but having to stay out a second night would be very disheartening. 

author=Andy Hill link=topic=26048.msg110163#msg110163 date=1352919656]
Anybody who's tried to navigate in a whiteout knows it could happen to them.  It's a pretty disorienting thing that only patience, practice, and sometimes luck resolves.  I was coming down from Muir and saw 18 people walking up into the clouds on this Sunday and these 2 ended up staying there for a couple nights.  It's as humbling as an opportunity for learning.  If you think you'll find yourself above treeline with weather: practice, practice, practice.  It's not enough to suggest it couldn't happen to you.  It will.  Take clinics, read, learn in low consequence/familiar terrain.  It doesn't come natural and like all skills it needs to be refreshed frequently.  I'm totally impressed these guys stayed warm/healthy in pretty wicked conditions.  They had some pretty level heads, made good survival decisions (911, snow cave, kept moving,..), had great SAR support, and luck was on their side.  I hope we get to hear their survival story as I'm sure we'll all learn from it.

I've experienced a severe whiteout on the  Muir snowfield and it was psychologically challenging and intimidating... incredibly so.  Also one on Mt. St. Helens and I am thankful to have studied how to work with one... but they are always a bear to deal with.

That bomber layer under the powder couldn't have been easy to dig a cave in.

author=RonL link=topic=26048.msg110180#msg110180 date=1352941377]
That bomber layer under the powder couldn't have been easy to dig a cave in.

At least for the first night they got into a "crevasse" (maybe a bergschrund) and covered the top with their snowboards to break the east wind; not sure what they did the second night, but it appears they spent it in a different location.

Reply to this TR

11-11-12-mt-rainier-muir-vertigo
ND
2012-11-12 09:58:00