Home > Trip Reports > Monogram Lake Conditions - No skiing

Monogram Lake Conditions - No skiing

11/15/12
Posted by ashcan on 11/11/12 5:21am
Just an FYI for those who might be interested. Thought I'd post this since the Nov trip reports are so barren.

Pic is from the West looking over Monogram Lake towards the Triad and Hidden Lakes Peak.
Non-skiing report from Surprise Lake, consolidated here to keep the TR list mostly-skiing:

As we hiked up Surprise Creek: Skiff of snow at 3.6k, 3" at Surprise Lake (4.5k), ~5-6" at 5.4k.  Snow above 4.5k was light and fluffy, no sign of faceting (no hoar either). With this next storm, the upper snow should be with us through the season.

Felt good to play in fresh snow again, even if Yaktrax were the correct tool for the day.

thanks guys.

I woke in gold bar saturday 7 AM to big fat snow flakes @ 500'. at least an inch or two fell. I packed up and drove up north to the shannon creek TH... skiers coming down from Shuksan reported no new snow until the typical summer skiing... i gave up and went socializing.

Charlie,,,

where you attempting to ski, or just out to enjoy a blast of winter on foot? thanks for the snow depth update... curious, did enough snow fall to cover the previous days foot traffic? I hiked up the first couple miles with my dog on friday.

On foot. Made a few turns by jumping my way down a drifted section of trail, but that's all. Far too much talus at the head of the basin for any good skiing (even with the new dump, I suspect). Log crossing was slick on the way up, grippy with new snow on the way back. Snow would've skied well if there were a base.

Wherever we got ahead of the couple others out there, we were breaking fresh track. Up high, our uptracks had partially filled before our return trip. Bet they're long gone now.

I'll add my $0.02 worth of non-skiing snow observations:
I was up at the Hidden Lake Peaks lookout on Saturday with a friend.  We found a dusting of snow at the trail head at 3700 ft.  Solid snow on the trail as we popped out of the woods at 4800 ft with snow increasing in depth up to the ridge above Hidden Lake where it was about 12" deep on top of frozen and slick summer snow at ~6500 ft.  The scramble up to the lookout had less snow on it due to wind transport.  All in all it was a good day to get out in the mountains but I did not miss the weight of my splitboard for this one as I could not have gone more than 100 ft at a time on a couple of patches of left overs.

Reply to this TR

monogram-lake-conditions-no-skiing
ashcan
2012-11-11 13:21:57